Q&A Partially Vented Logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Thanks for your reply to my message- Craig. Do you know anything about partially-ventilated logs? My wife has asthma and I have read that nonvented logs may be a problem. We are interested in warming up a large- cold room and are wondering if ventilated logs are efficient enough for that.

Answer:

The word "Partially vented' is rarely used anymore. A more accurate term would be "reduced venting requirements" or "higher efficiency". <p>
Some of these logs will do a nice job warming up a room. One brand. Monesson Smartfire, offers a front radiant burner that throws a nice amount of heat forward.
<p>

If you can afford it- consider a fully enclosed vented gas fireplace insert--this is the best choice for heating and safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.