Pass-through vents to upper story

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redcloud

Jul 28, 2010
N. GA
Hi all,

Years ago I lived in a 1920's farmhouse that had no ducting upstairs. In the ceiling of the heated downstairs, running up through the floor of the unducted upstairs, were these pass-through registers that allowed the heat to flow up to the rooms above. They had louvers to close them off in Summer, and one even had a fan mounted in it. They were about a foot square.

I've been looking everywhere for them, to facilitate air flow in the two story I'm in now, but Google has been no help at all. Anybody ever see these vents for sale anywhere? They would be so perfect.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi -

I also saw and used these in older homes from the 1900-1930 timeframe.

I'm not an expert on the topic of codes. However I'm pretty sure you're not seeing them is because they are a code violation. The code likes to have walls, and cielings especially, closed to delay propagation of fires from one living space to another.

All the best,
Mike

My parents home, built about 1928, had what you are describing, but the weren't heat vents.
They were the cold air returns for the hot air furnace.
The home was heated by a huge register in between the dining room & the living room.
The damn thing was a 42" square steel grate & had a humidifier pan built into the center of it.
The wall registers could be shut off to keep the heat from reaching the rooms they were in,
by preventing the cold air drop back to the furnace...
The furnace was an old converted "octopus" of a coal burner, probably wrapped in asbestos.
It was AT LEAST 4 feet in diameter, with a tiny NG burner conversion...

Vents between floors should have a fusible-link fire damper that closes the vent in the event of fire. Floor registers, ceiling grilles and fire dampers can be purchased at Atlanta Supply.
http://www.atlantasupply.com/

Awww, fusible links. We use them on propane valves. Floor registers sound like a great application for them. I used to do a lot with Reggio back in the day. I need to look at their site and see if they have those safety items available. Thanks for the info BG

Status
Not open for further replies.