Pass-Thru

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuneighty

Burning Hunk
Oct 11, 2012
SC PA
I posted this in The Gear as this is one of my favorite features of our new place (moved in in June) and just now getting to utilize it.

Attachments

• IMG_20121103_115218.jpg
    IMG_20121103_115218.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 140
Reactions: fox9988 and smokinj
I have 2 pass through in my furnace room . One in the middle facing my outdoor stacks and one facing the attached wood shed. We get a massive amount of snow most winters here. The outside stacks are thrown in until the snow is too deep to battle and then the attached shed wood is used until spring. The pass through in the attached shed allows for wood to be thrown in without battling the elements. One of the best things I designed into this place.

Nice pass-throughs. You really need somekind of handy method if you're serious about long term wood burning. When I built my place in Ohio in 1983, I put in one of those Bilco basement doors right near my wood furnace. I bought their galvanized stair stringers so you only need to slide in 2x8 boards for steps. In the winter, I slide out the steps, leaving me a huge 3.5x5x6' pit to fill with wood. Pull up the trailer full of wood, dump it in the Bilco pit, and your ready to just open the door down in the basement and feed wood to the furnace. The wood stays "outside" too where its cold to keep the ants and spiders dormant till you toss them in the fire with the wood. Biofuel all the way around. I used to keep big stacks of wood by the house but started having real problems with ants around the place. Now I keep the big stacks at the interface of my yard/woods about 100' from the house and just shuttle trailer loads up to the Bilco door to fill it as I need it. No more ant problems around the house, and I feed my furnace from the "basement door" about 7' away.

Reactions: Tuneighty
Attached garage/shop underneath 90 yr old house with w/o basement.Plywood door covered with piece of old acoustical ceiling tile is mostly hidden by the wood stack.Other side of that door is woodbox lined with 3/4" old knotty pine car siding,w/3/4 plywood floor on hearth inside family room where older insert is located.I normally keep 2,sometimes 3 big wheelbarrows loads worth in garage next to door.This time of year until the cold really hits I burn more smaller stuff,uglies,odd chunks,milling scrap etc so that's carried into room in a couple 5 gallon buckets or the ash bucket.Last winter being so mild I only burned a small amount of the 'good stuff',that was late January before that happened.

Works for me.

Attachments

• garagewood1.JPG
    garagewood1.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 114
  • garagewood2.JPG
    garagewood2.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 109
  • woodbox2.JPG
    woodbox2.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: Tuneighty