Q&A Passat Boiler - Re: What is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I bought my house in 1989, and in the basement is a large wood fired boiler with the name Passat on the side. It is plumbed into the forced hot water heating system. I cannot figure out who the manufacturer is from the obscure (Scandinavian?) markings on the various placards, although my best guess is that the manufacturer is called Orum.

The placards say I should not fire this behemoth up without reading the book, and the previous owner did not leave me the book. Any suggestions on where or how I could get an owners manual?

Answer:

Its a Swedish designed wood burning boiler from the late 70's.

They were good unit. I don't know where you could get a manual...But if you have someone familiar with boilers look over the installation and test fire it...making sure there is pressure relief, fire controls, etc...then it should be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.