Pathetic husband attempts to load wood box early (story at 11)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratman

Feeling the Heat
Aug 11, 2009
Bedford, NH
home.comcast.net
So I get home from work today after a 4 day weekend in which I was able to complete my entire Honey Do list and still read every post on the Hearth.com site twice.
So I'm chompin' at the bit and just threw this out there at supper time for poops and giggles;

Pathetic Husband: "I think I'll load the wood box tonight."

Disgruntlled WifeUnit: "Ohhhh noooo. It's way too early for that and I don't want that wood in here a month early."

Pathetic Husband: "Dear, I'm going to need to in the next couple of weeks or so anyways so what's the big deal'"

Disgruntlled WifeUnit: "Noooo please?"

Pathetic Husband: "I'll do what you say; so you want me to load the (I have a rather large wood box with sections for splits, branches, kindling) whole box the night we going to start?"

Disgruntlled WifeUnit: "No we'll help you". (we = 20 yr old daughter who is right there stareing me down also)

Pathetic Husband: "No you won't you'll be out at the club (looking at daughter) and you'll be too busy (looking at the boss)

The story ends with Pathetic Husband stomping out of the room seeking support from his virtual wood friends on Hearth.com

Ratman said:
So I get home from work today after a 4 day weekend in which I was able to complete my entire Honey Do list and still read every post on the Hearth.com site twice.
So I'm chompin' at the bit and just threw this out there at supper time for poops and giggles;

Pathetic Husband: "I think I'll load the wood box tonight."

Disgruntlled WifeUnit: "Ohhhh noooo. It's way too early for that and I don't want that wood in here a month early."

Pathetic Husband: "Dear, I'm going to need to in the next couple of weeks or so anyways so what's the big deal'"

Disgruntlled WifeUnit: "Noooo please?"

Pathetic Husband: "I'll do what you say; so you want me to load the (I have a rather large wood box with sections for splits, branches, kindling) whole box the night we going to start?"

Disgruntlled WifeUnit: "No we'll help you". (we = 20 yr old daughter who is right there stareing me down also)

Pathetic Husband: "No you won't you'll be out at the club (looking at daughter) and you'll be too busy (looking at the boss)

The story ends with Pathetic Husband stomping out of the room seeking support from his virtual wood friends on Hearth.com

sell the 361 that will teach him!

I won't be loading my woodbox until the insects in the woodpiles start to freeze/slow down. Not much help here.

Yes, the scented candle will look great with the Doylee under it.

Why'd you wait so long? My wood box has been full since last Winter.

I loaded the wood boxes on he deck just outside the room where the stove is yesterday. And it ain't gonna be stove lighting time around here for a while yet.

Condolences.

Sorry, no support here, I'm waiting for the first freeze otherwise I get spiders, bugs and other creepy crawly stuff.

I've loaded a face cord or 2 on the deck, picked through the splits, and am "speed drying " the almost readys, have wood in the wood box, and wood in the holder on the hearth.

'Course, I am the Captain of Chez Dixie, so it makes things easier ;-)

And congrats on getting the list done, most of mine did too !!!

Not a wood box but I did move a 12' x 5 ' stack into the attached garage today. It stays there and we bring into the house what we need each evening. My oldest son (10) came home from school, got changed and jumped up on the truck to help out - without me asking. :bug: He even tapped some together to see what was dry and not so dry (in his opinion) and asked if the 2 different types of wood needed to be separated as we piled it. Kids are funny creatures.

Honey do list.....hee hee, my dad had one of those from my mom, and my brother and I had one from her too. I refused to have such a thing. We both usually work on stuff together, I only do the really heavy stuff, but she insists on helping anyway, she's half my weight. I'm spoiled, got a real old world wife, and cute too! Me, not so cute. Gotta love SOME of the girls in healthcare, they really do want to help. I said some! This is our first year in the new(to us) house and she wouldn't let me go get the free wood in the National forest here. She has this terrible fear I'm gonna cut myself with the chainsaw and bleed out. I get her angry if I won't let her come. Funny, she lets me work under 9K trucks in the garage all day long with nobody around and it doesn't bother her in the least. I can't complain, she is excellent company. I still need to find a good spot for a wood box, the wind out here blows like crazy and any snow we get piles up pretty well after any obstruction, even the dog house.

When it starts freezing at night I'll load a wheelbarrow with wood and place it next to the porch. Kindling will be in a separate box on the porch. Around November 1, then I'll move wood to the carport with some on the porch and some right next to it. Until then, it stays in the stack.

I loaded up my wood shelves next to the stove last weekend. To minimize bugs I used some of the nicest splits I have - least punk etc that were actually stacked in rounds and more or less freshly split (4 year old rounds testing 15-20% after splitting). So, I have had a few bugs but not too many. Indoor supply is ready to go.

In the next week or two I hope to get the rack set up on the deck and loaded with the 1/4 cord it holds - that will take a while since I have to carry it all up the stairs. I want to get that one up early though as I plan to fashion some sort of plywood cover on top to keep the drips from the roof from turning the top of the pile into one big block of ice this year (the tarp became a mess last year - northeast side of house).

Of course I got the inside supply in early as I'm playing with ... er... doing necessary burn-ins with the new stove now.

I will say though - I'm with you LLigetfa, I think I may well just load up the inside rack at the end of next year so it will be all bug free wood for the summer and not have to worry in the fall. The partial load that I had left over from last fall sure looks good and dry (I ought to test a piece!) and certainly any bugs in it crawled out long ago.

Well guys, I don't have a honey in my life so 'Anything goes' as far as wood storage. I just had a 8x15 sunroom put in and lo and behold, I have wood in it now. I bought those little black plastic wood holders, and some 2x4's and put up a temp holder. I loaded it with hardwood. Now I am going to fill totes with hardwood and leave them in the sunroom. My wood holders on either side of the stove are full, each holder is about 5'x2'x3'. Both with hardwood will last 10 days.

Kindling is in a plastic garbage pail, with a lockable lid ( I have four full of kindling)

Burning for me starts about Oct 15th.

Glad you got your list done.
Shouldn't have asked for "permission" to fill the box.
Mine is always full. Never know when we want a July or September fire to take the chill off.
I don't have any problems with bugs and spiders. I ask them to move off the wood before I put in inside. :)
Happy burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.