Patience my friend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
I broke down my system to reposition the wall thimble and stove angle, and clean the pipe. Since I always bite off more than I should, I also took the opportunity to replace the gaskets on the stove and clean out the crevices that are hard to reach. I added 2 feet to the stove length in order to clear the roof peak too. All went well, and I was curious to see how the stove was going to act. Much to my surprise, I could not get the temps up. Air was wide open and the thing was just putting along around 300 on the pipe. My first thought was that the seals were choking the fire, or at least the lack of good seals were feeding it better before the upgrade. Well, after a few loads, all started to return to normal. Now it is working fine, but the inlets are wider than before. Same flu temps but the stove is radiating more heat. That may be due to the stove angle change, or just the exposing of more iron with the cleaning.

However, but it is good to know it is working well for you now.

On the gaskets, I've heard of folks just changing all the gaskets at once but it is something we've never done. We just wait until one needs replacing and just do that one.

It sounds like the stove is burning more efficiently now, perhaps due to a reduction in air leakage?

Status
Not open for further replies.