Patio / Firepit question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
I just finished laying a Paver Patio using Polymer Sand in the joints (if that makes a difference), and we are putting a stone Firepit Kit we purchased from Lowes years ago on the new Patio. I am also placing a "Bud Wheel" in the Firepit to burn the wood in.....question.....I'm thinking of putting in some sort of Sand to give a layer of protection to the Pavers.....or should I use some type of Stone ??.....not sure if burning right on top of the Pavers is a good idea, or if the Polymer Sand in the joints would cause an issue while burning in the pit. What would you do ??
http://www.lowes.com/pd_477107-215-308528___?productId=4686369&pl=1&Ntt=fire+pits

Some sand is a good idea. I had a metal fire pit that sat atop some bluestone for years with an air space under, and worked flawlessly. I put a new metal fire pit down last weekend and during the first 10 minutes of the first fire, I blue a nice chunk out of one of the pieces of bluestone under it. Apparently, this one sends more heat below than the old one did.

Doesn't hurt to have a layer of protection,,, or even lay some firebrick down?

Thanks for the quick reply Pen. Firebrick at the bottom, small layer of Sand on top of that ??.......Firebrick like what is lining my woodstove ??

I would do something, just not sure what. the polymer will melt, an airspace would be great, just not sure how. hmmmm.......

Reactions: Ashful
Ironpony, that is one of my concerns, along with any type of gasses the Polymer Sand would give off while the pit is lit.....don't need folks passing out of getting sick around the fire

I have a similar set up...no , metal ring and a couple holes in the bottom to increase air flow....used leveling sand over 1 inch block. .....KISS

The correct way would be so the your pit is below your pavers on your base sand pack. Pavers should have been then built around.

You want your water and ash not on your finish pavers when it rains.

This is how I did mine, just a thought if u do have it permanently into your patio and it's close to your home. I would check code.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 423
The correct way would be so the your pit is below your pavers on your base sand pack. Pavers should have been then built around.

You want your water and ash not on your finish pavers when it rains.

This is how I did mine, just a thought if u do have it permanently into your patio and it's close to your home. I would check code.
I have it on top of the pavers in case I, or new owner when we sell, wants to remove it and use the Patio for something else.....have a lot of left over Pavers should some need replacement. The Patio / Fire Pit is away from the house.....about 50 feet or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.