Patio suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
I have a patio off the rear of my house. Its probably 60 yrs old. The perimeter wall is starting to fail. Any suggestions on cost effective replacements.

Attachments

• back patio.jpg
    back patio.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 105
How is it failing?

Reactions: bobdog2o02
The perimeter wall is starting to fall away and the slate is coming loose. There is also a low spot in the far right corner by the far door, past the grill.

A cheap solution would be fine crushed gravel on a compacted bed. Paver stones would also work.

Doesn't sound too salvageable with the low spot and the crack that's up front in the pic.
Depending on what you're looking for maybe just some 2 x 4 PT sleepers laid down and leveled (use PL premium poly adhesive to glue in shims where needed) then decking of your choice over the top.

I would personally do anything to avoid having to jack hammer and haul that out of there. Unless you want to pay someone to do it, then you can sit back with a cold one and watch them struggle.

I would leave it be, maybe try to glue the loose stones back in. As long as its not hurting the house its just an aesthetics thing, no easky and/or cheap fixes there.

I would leave it be, maybe try to glue the loose stones back in. As long as its not hurting the house its just an aesthetics thing, no easky and/or cheap fixes there.

I would, however it actually goes under the structure at the far end of the picture. If it didn't go under I would probably just break it up and pour new. I want to fix it before it gets bad under that area.

Mmmm, that sucks. Cut with a concrete saw close to the building, then remove all of the other stuff. From there i would lay paving stones so this issue with structure would not pop up again.

Is there living space under this patio?

No living space. I'm thinking of putting a schluter membrane down and using porcelain tile. So far that seems to be the best solution. It will protect the original patio and provide a stable platform for laying tile. Membrane will cost approx $800, tile will cost approx $600

Fyi schluter is intended for interior installations. It may trap water and cause bigger problems outdoors.

If its "sinking" your tile will still crack membrane or not. Might take a couple years but if what's there now is moving enough to crack the joints it'll eventually affect the tile as well.

Bobdog also raises a good point with elevations and water trapping next to the house, something not to be overlooked.

Ever step on wet ceramic tile? Get a good non skid tile if you go that route or you'll be asking how to deal with concussions next. ;)

I have all the same concerns as above. The schluter dealer and site and experts suggest this product for exterior application http://www.schluter.com/5357.aspx.
Unfortunately there are downside risks to every solution. If the patio wasn't structually sound I wouldn't be putting $2,000 in materials on it. There is also a 3' eve hanging over this patio. Water/ snow doesn't get up against the house.
With this option, we protect the existing patio, expecially the part under the house.
Please provide alternatives.

I have all the same concerns as above. The schluter dealer and site and experts suggest this product for exterior application http://www.schluter.com/5357.aspx.
Unfortunately there are downside risks to every solution. If the patio wasn't structually sound I wouldn't be putting $2,000 in materials on it. There is also a 3' eve hanging over this patio. Water/ snow doesn't get up against the house.
With this option, we protect the existing patio, expecially the part under the house.
Please provide alternatives.
The existing patio is settling at a different rate than the house, if you tile over it they will still come loose, they will just be stuck to the schluter too. This is an all or nothing situation....

The existing patio is settling at a different rate than the house, if you tile over it they will still come loose, they will just be stuck to the schluter too. This is an all or nothing situation....

Please provide alternative.

I'm confused. Did someone build a house on a patio foundation? Is there an appropriate footer under all that? Don't see any cheap, long term fixes. Looks like you get either cheap, or long term. Not both.

From what I can see, I'd make a cut at the far end to uncouple the patio from the rest of the house, then follow John in NH's suggestion about PT sleepers and decking over top. You could even extend it out into the yard a bit to make it more usable.

I'm confused. Did someone build a house on a patio foundation? Is there an appropriate footer under all that? Don't see any cheap, long term fixes. Looks like you get either cheap, or long term. Not both.

From what I can see, I'd make a cut at the far end to uncouple the patio from the rest of the house, then follow John in NH's suggestion about PT sleepers and decking over top. You could even extend it out into the yard a bit to make it more usable.

Not the whole house, probably originally a screened in porch (which is now an interior extension to the living room) converted many years ago.
Thought about a wooden deck myself. Wife didn't want it. Can't take it out any further because of a grey water leach tank in the ground.

The right way to try and salvage what you have

1. dig up around the edge to see if there is a proper footing. if there is no footing stop here and plan on removing the current patio entirely.

2. If there is a footer underpin it to prevent more settlement.

3. Remove the broken pieces that are falling apart or allready deformed. This may require a wet saw and some jackhammering.

4. Install a new walking surface, flagstones like you have, tile ( i have used many schluter products, they work well but are far too expensive for me), new stamped concrete......

Form up 4" out and 4" higher than what is there - pour cement?? Just tossing ideas.

This is a decent way to make it "look good" but it doesnt solve the differential settlement problem.

This is a decent way to make it "look good" but it doesnt solve the differential settlement problem.

Hey - I can fail at any rate you wish. From fast to slow....:p

Thanks for the idea of pouring a new slab over the old patio. Didn't think of that. I will research and get back to everyone. If anyone has experience in this please continue to contribute.

I just rebuilt my front steps and elevated front masonry porch. It had with similar issues. Its water / freezing getting between the top slab and the perimeter wall. My Issue was water got into the cinder block perimeter wall. I broke out anything soft and replaced it with new block and concrete. The top slab on one end had broken away with the side wall. I used a concrete saw, cut it out , built one course of the side was and poured a new piece of the top slab. I to had a low spot near the place I was cutting out the slab. I put a 2" floor drain, PVC pipe.

It's hard to see in your picture, but you may be able to rebuild the soft spots in the perimeter wall and then pour a 4 inch slab on top of what's there.

I just rebuilt my front steps and elevated front masonry porch. It had with similar issues. Its water / freezing getting between the top slab and the perimeter wall. My Issue was water got into the cinder block perimeter wall. I broke out anything soft and replaced it with new block and concrete. The top slab on one end had broken away with the side wall. I used a concrete saw, cut it out , built one course of the side was and poured a new piece of the top slab. I to had a low spot near the place I was cutting out the slab. I put a 2" floor drain, PVC pipe.

It's hard to see in your picture, but you may be able to rebuild the soft spots in the perimeter wall and then pour a 4 inch slab on top of what's there.

I think my best solution will be a new curb 20" deep x6" wide around the perimeter. Then a 4 inch new pour on top of the old patio with an 1/2 expansion joint in between the curb and the patio.

Status
Not open for further replies.