Patterson wood products softwood pellets...any reviews?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Softwood will burn hotter and generally has less ash.

I use a pine pellet (Uncle Jeds) and am very happy with 'em. I've also used other softwoods from other manufactureres (Marth, Bear Mountain) and they have all been real good.

krooser said:

I use a pine pellet (Uncle Jeds) and am very happy with 'em. I've also used other softwoods from other manufactureres (Marth, Bear Mountain) and they have all been real good.

this where i get confused...growing up in the wood stove world i was always taught hardwood is best. now in the pellet stove era...i see alot of people saying softwood burns hotter. i am not trying to start a debate but couls someone elaborate on this for me? every place i go i.e. aubuchon, paris farms, are always telling me the softwoods are better than the hardwoods.

maybe it just my upbringing on wood stoves

thanx,
mike

Smudge88 said:
Can get them at a good price...never burned softwood, any advise?

I just got a chance to buy Patterson Pellets from a guy who rents some space in my Lincoln pk nj wharehouse. He has 12 tons I got him down to 225 a ton.I just cleaned my stove and I am in the proces of burning a bag he gave me.They are VERY SOFT Light brown nice scent.They have a burn heat of 8600 BTUs. I notice they burn so fast that ash doesnt get a chance to build.But if the feedrate is too loan its hard to keep pot filled and flame high.I had to bumb feedrate to 5 at room temp 74.The heat is great.I will let you know in morning when I clean stove again what kind if any clinkers , soot or anything else I see.So far for 225 a ton I might try to get him lower only because it looks like the stove is eating this bag rather fast.

mjbrown65 said:
krooser said:

this where i get confused...growing up in the wood stove world i was always taught hardwood is best. now in the pellet stove era...i see alot of people saying softwood burns hotter. i am not trying to start a debate but couls someone elaborate on this for me? every place i go i.e. aubuchon, paris farms, are always telling me the softwoods are better than the hardwoods.

maybe it just my upbringing on wood stoves

thanx,
mike

These are facts from what I have observed and read:

1. By the time the pellet is created, the density between the hardwood and softwood are identical. Why? Because with a softwood pellet more material gets compressed into an equal diameter pellet. So by the time the pellet is created, they are close to, equally dense.

Proof of this. Most individual soft wood pellets are the same size as there hardwood counterparts, and the 40 pound bags are the same size(HxWxD)as the hardwood yet are still packaged in 40 LBS bags.

Now Freedom fuels are a smaller pellets so I don't know about them but I have heard they burn very well.

2. It is true that in the wood stove burning world there is a great difference between pine and other softwoods to Hardwood. Softwood is less dense, burns hotter, faster, and dirtier.

3. Softwood burns slightly hotter. Because of the wood resin I think. This I have read.

4. As far as creosote, I just don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.