Paul Hodges, providing solutions with salicornia

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
This will never work! Where are we supposed to get all that seawater from? Huh? Next thing you know, the oil tankers will be getting grounded due to a lack of seawater. Then we will be going to war over seawater. ;-P

Now get back to work! You have to make money to pay for gasoline!

Chris

Very interesting. Ground water pollution should be of concern, but we do have the ability to know where fresh water aquifers are, and where they aren't.

I map them on a weekly basis.

You're right. I don't want to spoil a good idea, but it's radical and the potential dangers need to be examined. Putting salt in the earth- if the climate does change radically, then who's to say where the rain may start falling eventually. What happens if we want to "reclaim" salted earth? Will it just wash out with little effect?

Could be.

No arguement there. All aspects of it would need to be studied in depth, as you raise valid concerns. But the possibilities definately warrent the research. I hope he can continue to safely push forward on this.

Adios Pantalones said:
My worry would be salt water pollution of aquifers. This is nifty stuff- but I'm fond of drinking fresh water.

That was my concern at first too. But an understanding of local geology can deal with this issue. I don't think this is an issue in some areas with dead aquifers. For example, they are already pumping seawater into oil wells to displace the remaining oil in the middle east.

A more interesting problem would be the effect of large green areas where there was desert. Often this can lead to positive ecosystem changes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.