Pavers for thermal mass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockey

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2007
SW Ohio
Would surrounding my Englander 30 in my unfinished basement with about 15 pavers be worth it? They are just sitting around outside and I wondered if it would be worth the time. IS there any clearance issues I should be concerned with?

Should be fine. Chevy V-8 engine blocks might work even better. Way back when some folks put 20 gallon drums full of water on either side of the stove for heat storage.

BrotherBart said:
Should be fine. Chevy V-8 engine blocks might work even better. Way back when some folks put 20 gallon drums full of water on either side of the stove for heat storage.

Cool, as soon as the neighbor falls asleep tonight I'm going to go get them. He owes me anyway.

For concrete, figure on about 0.2 btu per pound per degree F.

Ie - 0.2 btu x 5 pounds per paver x 15 pavers x (heat them to 200F, cool them to 70F = 130F difference)

0.2 x 5 x 15 x 130 = ~2,000 btu's of heat ...about as much as you'll get burning 1/4 pound of wood.

cozy heat said:
For concrete, figure on about 0.2 btu per pound per degree F.

Ie - 0.2 btu x 5 pounds per paver x 15 pavers x (heat them to 200F, cool them to 70F = 130F difference)

0.2 x 5 x 15 x 130 = ~2,000 btu's of heat ...about as much as you'll get burning 1/4 pound of wood.

My math figures like this .2 X 100 X 15 X 130 = 39,000 or close to 5 lbs of wood. These aint no sissy pavers. :)

I used 12 of the 16" concrete pavers under my fireview as a "hearth pad" and they will warm up and give of LOTS of heat while stove is running. I think each one of them is about 20 pounds if I remember. I weighed them when I built it but cant remember for sure. Anyway, I would do it they will absorb and release all kinds of heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.