Paxo 25, Unpressurized storage, radiant floor, low temp radiator install with pictures.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

afblue

Feeling the Heat
Sep 1, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Boiler system is up and running, all plumbing, circulators, and heat calculations are all based off John Siegenthaler's Modern Hydronic Heating, 790 page text book. It was alot of reading but I had 4 months of a deployment to devote myself to reading the book and doing all the chapter lessons.

Quick specs:

1922 Bungalow in Buffalo, NY 1,700sqft blown cellulose insulation in walls, double pane Low E windows, R35 fiberglass insulation blanket. Design loss calculation : approx 45-50K BTU/HR

Paxo 25 Wood Gasification Boiler, New terra cotta thimble connecting to 8X11 clay flue tile chimney exterior wall approx 25FT tall.

Primary Piping, 1 1/4" black iron off boiler to circulator flange and danfoss boiler return protection valve, then 1 1/4" Type M copper.

Homemade unpressurized storage tank built with the concepts from Builtitsolar DIY tank. Tongue and groove OSB, 2x4s doubled up, glued with PL Premium salvaged Polyisocyranate commerical roofing foam board 3" thick. One layer inside tank wall, one layer outside wall and laminated to the outter shell. R-48 total. Inside water volume ~ 830gals. Heat exchanger is 3x60ft 3/4" copper coils in reverse parallel coiled evenly in the tank. 60Ft DHW coil stacked in upper 1/3 of tank, 100ft coil Solar Hot water coil in lower 1/3 of tank (future project ) Max temp based on heat exchanger performance 190F, Min useable water temp, 110f. 550,000BTU usable storage.

Heat emitters, 5 loops 1/2" Pex AL Pex staple up radiant first floor, 250ft each. Thin original harwood floor, and porcelain tile. 2nd floor, 3 bedrooms with Runtal PR2F-8 commercial radiators courtesy of BUPALOS. Master bath in the future will be radiant poured in lightweight concrete/gypsum.

Distribution system: 10 Port MR Pex stainless manifold station, 2 wire thermal actuators, 1" copper piping, Grundfos Alpha circulator pump, Taco ZVC406 6 Zone valve control center, appropriate thermostats in zoned rooms.

Mixing system: Tekmar 356 injection control ourdoor reset controller connected to Grundfos 42-10 pump, 3/4" barrier pex connects primary boiler loop to distribution loop. Controller modulates the pump to maintain distribution loop temp calculated for outdoor reset.

Pics:

DHW setup is a 50 gal basic tank with a 60Ft 3/4" copper coil in storage tank, that the inlet cold runs through, then into tank. Water is circulated with a Grundfos timed/thermostat constant hot water pump, that circulates house back to inlet of the DHW coil. Temp proection via Honeywell thermostatic valve.

Plumbing diagrams are in the works.

Very nice - congratulations! And thank you for serving.

+1 to all of that

WOW!

Beautiful job Congratulations.

Very Impressive.

Did you do all the design and instal yourself?

And ditto THANK YOU FOR SERVING this country!

PassionForFire&Water; said:
What brand of wall radiators do you have?
Long story on them, but they are basically Zehnder Rittling/ Runtal commercial units. They were 2 panel, 3 fin units that I got from another member on here. The rated output was so high on them that I knocked off the back fins, and they are now basically Runtal R2F 5ft long. With my own custom brackets. For my application, I canuse less than 120F water at design temp and heat my bedrooms upstairs.

On your DHW tank - are you saying you converted a regular DWH tank, to indirect? Wondering how you got the pipe into it - if that's what you did.

This is great stuff. Congratulations. Do you have an estimate of your investment? Also, I would be very interested in how it operates this winter.

We have radiant powered by a 10 kW hot water heater. Heat loss at design conditions for our house is ~7 kW gross. We are on natural gas, so finding a way to go to wood and get an economic payback has been a challenge. I would dearly love to have a wood boiler option.

Thanks again for going to all the work to share your experience and knowledge.

afblue,

Thank you for your service. It is appreciated very much.

Nice work on that system. That took a lot of time and effort. Good job, and thanks for sharing everything. Let us know how things are performing in the future. There are a lot of new systems on line this fall. It will be interesting to see the different experiences everyone has as things start to really get cold. Hopefully, it will go well for everyone. I think it will because most people follow the advice that they find on this site. I wish a successful burning season to you.

Looks good!

Ah, the things I could do with that book, the time to work on it, and time to fix stuff I would screw up!!

Nice job! Keep us posted throughout the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.