Pay for rounds, delivered?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have plenty of dry wood for this winter, (and part of next), and am collecting rounds. I don't have a large piece of property, so my space for racks is somewhat limited. My system is to have rounds to chop, so I can replenish the ranks (so to speak), as I empty my racks.

My SUV can only handle about 15 or so large rounds at a time when I scrounge, but its obviously a lot of trips, work (and gas). Sometimes I'm able to get a tree company to drop off, which hasn't happened yet this season.

I suppose I could hold out for a tree company working local, but if the opportunity to several cords worth of rounds delivered (bucked), what would you think its worth? Getting a free score is exciting, but IMHO, the scrounging isn't enjoyable like chopping.

Have plenty of dry wood for this winter, (and part of next), and am collecting rounds. I don't have a large piece of property, so my space for racks is somewhat limited. My system is to have rounds to chop, so I can replenish the ranks (so to speak), as I empty my racks.

My SUV can only handle about 15 or so large rounds at a time when I scrounge, but its obviously a lot of trips, work (and gas). Sometimes I'm able to get a tree company to drop off, which hasn't happened yet this season.

I suppose I could hold out for a tree company working local, but if the opportunity to several cords worth of rounds delivered (bucked), what would you think its worth? Getting a free score is exciting, but IMHO, the scrounging isn't enjoyable like chopping.

I haven't had anyone willing to drop off rounds. Only 16 ft logs (grapple truck load) or already split firewood.

Maybe you just thought of a business idea?

There are some wood sellers out here that sell cords of unsplit rounds. Going rate seems to be $80-110 delivered for a mixed cord.

For a log truck load and half of a dump truck of bucked wood I paid $50 and a six pack of land shark. Thats what the Guy wanted $50 for fuel. It all depends on who is doing who a favor. In my case if I didn't take all that wood he would have to go to a city dump and pay for disposal. I did need the wood so both of us made out good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 159
All depends on if that tree service wood is going to be a reality for you. Seems like you LI guys have pretty good luck at getting it. Personally I wouldn't pay a nickel. There are plenty of tree guys here that are more than happy to deliver complimentary loads. Logs from the grapple truck or rounds from their pickup, take your pick. But thats the market conditions here. If you can hook up with a guy there for a load every now and then you should be golden.

That's the big drawback of a state like Utah. There aren't a ton of people who burn other than for ambiance, but there are so few trees that wood is basically never free.

Log loads are free here and available almost all the time. Bucked has always been free for me as well, but you pretty much have to get lucky and catch tree guys on the job.

There are a couple of nice scores posted local, but they are about a 25 minute ride in my SUV (getting 9 miles to the gallon when loaded down). Picking up 15 rounds at a time for 4.5 gallons of gas makes the 'pay for a bucked' load look good.

Either that or I could just be patient.

A lot of people frown at the idea of paying for rounds. The value is in the splitting. I agree to an extent. The price has to be right. I once paid a guy for rounds of black locust and red oak. I got 2 cords, give or take, after I split and stacked it. The pile cost me $100. I also hand split, and I'll split cords of red oak and BL all day for $50 a piece.

I have a guy in my area who will drop off rounds..(16-20" in length and 8-15" across)..His truck holds about 4.5 face cords....$200 is what he charges for a delivery. Got him in my phone in case I ever get low...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.