PB-105 Burnpot Revisited

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you were running it in the manual mode this time of year

Yes since this fall , after having problems with it "lighting" (I caught it...pellets in ashpan) I decided to hook up a good "dump zone" (basement zone) . This I did with a relay hooked to the blue over heat wire ...then I piggybacked it on to thermostat wire so both can operate that zone. then I keep that thermostat set low so there is a reservoir of cold water to cool the boiler off. Even with the DEEP setback zones ...it hasn't overheated and shut off. I suspect spring and fall I will want to switch to auto.

Update 1//12/14

Over 8 1/2 tons through new burnpot. Did a thorough cleaning of the burn pot...Looks perfect... I'm kinda woundering if its because I'm running in manual.;hm I suspect this spring (late) when I have to start using automatic it may pucker up<> I wonder if the heat cycles are the culprit...( actually I am VERY suspect it IS just that) Does anyone have some weight put through it in auto ignition mode?

Reactions: Harman man
Yes since this fall , after having problems with it "lighting" (I caught it...pellets in ashpan) I decided to hook up a good "dump zone" (basement zone) . This I did with a relay hooked to the blue over heat wire ...then I piggybacked it on to thermostat wire so both can operate that zone. then I keep that thermostat set low so there is a reservoir of cold water to cool the boiler off. Even with the DEEP setback zones ...it hasn't overheated and shut off. I suspect spring and fall I will want to switch to auto.

Update 1//12/14

Over 8 1/2 tons through new burnpot. Did a thorough cleaning of the burn pot...Looks perfect... I'm kinda woundering if its because I'm running in manual.;hm I suspect this spring (late) when I have to start using automatic it may pucker up<> I wonder if the heat cycles are the culprit...( actually I am VERY suspect it IS just that) Does anyone have some weight put through it in auto ignition mode?

All of my pellet burn has been in the auto mode. I have never run in manual and have put about 25 tons through the ORIGINAL burn pot. No sign of bubbling or cracking between the air holes. No puckering either. I don't understand it, but so far Knock On Wood.

Reactions: iceguy4
Just to update, the second burnpot in my boiler has started to crack in the burn surface. It was NOT the new design, but a pot my dealer had in stock when he replaced the original. I will make a point of showing him a copy of the burnpot service bulletin before he installs the next one, and ask that he use the updated part.

I started to notice some slight warpage as early as Halloween last fall, but it didn't look too bad. In fact, the bubble in this pot is smaller than the one in the original. I believe Harman says some warpage is acceptable, but the cracks should win me a second replacement pot under warranty, I think. I'm going to drop in on my Harman dealer this afternoon and see what he has to say.

Good luck on getting the new style burnpot. Hope you get one. I installed mine at the beginning of the season and it still looks in very good shape. I will see how it holds up now that the weather should start warming up. (Still below zero at night this week and beginning of next week). I am wondering how the new style burnpot will hold up to the boiler starting more often.

My opinion is that they take the worst beating during the shoulder seasons. I was running 24/7 through a good part of January, but I didn't see any cracking until the warmup earlier this month let the burnpot fire go out a couple times a day.

I talked to my dealer today and let him know he'd be replacing the burnpot again this summer. He's a good guy, I'm sure he'll stand behind the repair. I also mentioned the new burnpot design and gave him a copy of the service bulletin.

While I was there I picked up some Jed's softwoods for the coming cold snap. A little pricey, but YOLO!

Update 10 tons burned with igniter set on manual...3 cracks extending up to the next hole up (aprox 3/8 ") Burn pot flat as a "pancake" . These cracks IMHO won't affect it and I say success... Today I gave a quick clean and set the igniter to auto....

Status
Not open for further replies.