PB 105, failed to restart, no error code

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Bennion

Hearth Supporter
Feb 2, 2009
Lee, NH
I have a PB 105, and recently replaced the board and ignighter and still getting failed restarts with no error code. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be a bad temp. sensor, possibly getting stuck and not showing the drop in temperature? If I restart, it will light and work for a while. It just happens every now and then. I have also had it run out of pellets and the same thing happens, no error lights. Any ideas?

Is the ESP probe in your exhaust vent clean? Seems when I have problems with a no blink code upon running out of fuel, probe needs to be cleaned.

I just cleaned the entire boiler including the ESP probe.

What position are the first 3 dips set? When I received my boiler all three of the switches were in the up position and I had a hard time with it lighting consistently. I recently put the first two switches into the down position and my PB has been lightly perfectly.

All three are in the down position, I have black wires on ESP, which makes #3 in down also.

What does the color difference signify?

I'm guessing that the ESP is failing but you should be seeing the status light blinking 3 times, this has happened to me, the ESP will need to be replaced. I found when using the cartridge style ignition (igniter in the burnpot) dip switch # 1 off, # 2 off, # 3 on will give the best results for quick ignition with the least amount of smoke. On position is up.

EDIT: My boiler has black wires to the ESP. With all 3 dip switches in the off (down) position, this is the program default settings, excessive amount of pellets enter the burnpot for ignition.

I had a similar issue w/ a 105 installed in a 3 unit apt building. It would fail every day around 5:30 - 6:00 pm.
What was happening was, every one would get home from work, turn up the heat, take a shower, whatever, all at the same time. The water usage was running so much cold water back thru the system all at once, it could not achieve a proper stack temp to verify the fire was at proper temp, because all the start up heat was going right to the big all of a sudden load on the H20 jacket. After manualy feeding the burnpot w/ about 3 lbs of pellets, getting a fire going, and then running it onto test over and over for @ 15 minutes (to make the auger turn), I got a sufficient esp temp, then left the switch for the ignitor set to manual: In the manual mode, it HAS to maintain a specific esp temp at all times, thus it would be already warm in the system, and was not subject to a cold start leeching all the start up heat off the fire.

Churchill: the black probe is the older style probe and circuit board setup.. the newer ones use a red wired probe, and the # 5 (i thinx) dipswitch must be set to the on position for the new boards to recieve a red probe, otherwise an instant false reading of 500 + degrees is constantly read otu, and the unit will never run.

The dealer was out about 6 weeks ago and replaced the board with new version and installed new 15 fin igniter

Bill Bennion said:
The dealer was out about 6 weeks ago and replaced the board with new version and installed new 15 fin igniter
Did your dealer replace these to resolve your issue with failed restarts? I believe the failed restarts is either the ESP needs to be cleaned or replaced. If the dealer installed the new board ( part # 3-20-06143), try the dip switch settings that I've mentioned, I believe you will like the way it ignites using these settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.