PB105 Air Wash Flapping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewChurchill

Minister of Fire
Mar 31, 2008
Vermont
When I have my OAK connected to my PB the air wash plate flaps dramatically, when it's disconnected the flapping stops.

In both cases the flame wraps around the heating tubes, but with the OAK installed the flame pulsates. The flapping does stop but I think it's only when the blower goes to the low setting.

I've checked the OAK intake and it does NOT appear to be plugged, and the intake hose is 15' in length.

The PB is providing plenty of heat and appears to be operating properly. I'm just curious if anyone else is experiencing this flapping as well?

Thanks,
Andy

Andrew Churchill said:
When I have my OAK connected to my PB the air wash plate flaps dramatically, when it's disconnected the flapping stops.

In both cases the flame wraps around the heating tubes, but with the OAK installed the flame pulsates. The flapping does stop but I think it's only when the blower goes to the low setting.

I've checked the OAK intake and it does NOT appear to be plugged, and the intake hose is 15' in length.

The PB is providing plenty of heat and appears to be operating properly. I'm just curious if anyone else is experiencing this flapping as well?

Thanks,
Andy
I'm not sure what you mean by "air wash plate flap". Are you talking about the backdraft damper on the air inlet flapping? If so, my guess is with the OAK connected it creates enough resistance in air flow that if you had a door gasket leak it would cause this damper to flap.

EDIT: Also, if you find no door leaks, you might have someone go outside with a piece of cardboard, covering up a portion of the pipe to see if this might stop the flapping when it's flapping.

Wil,

When you look at the top of the door with the window you will see a slit. Air is pulled in through the slit to help keep the window clean (not that it works well). There is a piece of metal on the inside of that slit that is flapping.

Andy,
My boiler doesn't have that piece of metal, it has a metal retainer for the glass bolted to the door with small holes in it on the ends. Yours must me a newer vintage, mine was manufactured in 12/06, serial # 00223. I wonder what purpose this cover plate on yours serves.

Wil,

My serial number is 00201 and it was manufactured in November 2006. Here's a picture of my door.

Attachments

• IMG_2442.JPG
    IMG_2442.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 217
Andy,
The photo of your door is the same as mine. I just had to know about the flapper that you're talking about so I removed the top two nuts and bolts removed what I call the glass retainer, I see the piece of metal that you refer to as a flapper. Have you had yours apart? If not, check the tightness of the two bolts and nuts. When I put mine back together I didn't get the flapper positioned correctly, didn't have a air wash at all, I had to reposition the flapper. Once those bolts are tight the flapper will not slide from side to side.

Wil,

Was the metal piece loose on your door?

Andy,
When I took mine apart, it consists of three metal pieces, what I call the glass retainer, a flat piece of metal with a hole at each end and the actual piece that partially covers the slot in the door which I think is the "flapper". With the bolts tight, the "flapper" should not move from side to side or up and down, the metal is flexable enough so it will flex a tiny bit in and out. I used an xacto knife through the slot in the door to check for all movement after I tightened the bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.