Pb105 Owners How is it handles the frigid cold?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine is running full tilt ...heating 2 buildings. Cant run at 5 but 4.5 seems to be my max. I will have a better idea about consumption soon but its looking like 4 bags a day in the very cold days. Its working GREAT

working great. Set at 4 and burning about 4 bags a day. Boiler is in outside barn about 100 feet from house. Wife keeps the house at about 70 in the large great room with the front door to the porch open so the dogs are comfortable. Maybe today she will have the sense to close the door!

Feed rate set at 4. Min set at 145. Max set at 165. Used 113# per day for month of December. Sixth coldest December on record for our area. I anticipate using 150 to 175# per day next week when we get down to -25F with the high of -12F. Have gone through over 6300# since turning boiler on in middle October.

Mine was having a hard time keeping the house warm in this extreme cold. It's not the boiler's fault though. I turned it up a little. Now It's getting hot enough that I can hear some bubbling inside the boiler. Where the flame is lapping against the water tubes, it's getting hot enough to boil the water. The water temperature reads 190 but it's apparently more than that directly on the flame, or my gauge is off. I had to turn it back down a little but it's toasty warm now. I can use up to 5 bags per day when it's running full bore like that.

I had the minimum on 170 and the maximum all the way up. Feed was on 4.5. That bubbling sound was making me a little nervous though. I turned the max temp down some .

But what is the water temperature in your boiler? If the water is hot, it's doing its job. You might not have enough registers or too much heat loss for the registers to overcome.
I guess you said earlier that you used 2.5 bags overnight. So you probably have a lot of heat loss, just like I do.

Mine is doing great, a hopper full of barefoots, running in manual mode, keeping the water between 190-200 and heating the whole house to a comfy 70 degrees along with domestic hot water. We're loving this thing! It probably burns 3+ bags a day when the temps are super cold like this, feed setting at 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.