PC45 Harman squeal gone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northwoodneil

Feeling the Heat
Feb 10, 2012
Land of Cheese
I found another place Harmans can squeal but only on the PC45's. Where the stir rod goes through the fire box end plate. I had a spare end plate put it on and it was gone. The new end plate does not have the outer bushing welded to it so there is much less surface area to drag and squeal. Also has anyone tried running a 45 as Harman suggests without the stir rod and the open burn pot front? I don't have that front plate and before I cut one down to make one does it work better? more heat, less pellets? More scraping of the burn pot? Just askin'

I have tried without the stirrer and have much better heat into the boiler coil and less ash flying around. Probably slowed down the escape of heat as I had more draft than needed as the pot now piles up with ash before falling into ash bin. I got it setup with the stirrer but the previous owner mixed corn. I used neverseize on the shaft and never had it squeel. I got my infared gun just after the change but I had probes setup to monitor the in and out of the water and seen a major change of water temps and stove surface temps. Will not go back to stirrer unless I burn corn again.

Thanks Bio. I neverseize the rod too but I think it just collected enough ash to make it tight (with the bushed end plate). OK, tonight in the shop I convert and end plate and give it a try. Extra heat is money in the bank and thats what burning pellets is all about.;)

I had a PC45 burning in the store for a couple years but replaced it when corn prices got out of control. There is really no need to run the stir with pellets. If you are burning 100% pellets make sure you adjust the dip switch setting and the combustion blower plate. It does help. All this info in in the current owners manual found on the Harman web site.

Eric

Do you have the pot with the larger holes and larger holed combustion plate? I have the paper with info on the pellet upgrade if you want a copy. I think its worth the $$ and no more stirrer wear. Upgrades the stove to 50k btus, not that one uses it with the PC45.

Yup got the big blower plate, same as a P61. I have 2 pots and both for some reason are big (pellet) holes. As for dip switches there aren't any on my board, to old, I've had it out more than once looking for them (and yes I ran an asphalt plant for a few years I know too darn well what they look like). I took an old stir rod and cut it down to fill the hole in the auger so I don't have to chip carbon if this is a bust. Bio, what do you run your feed rate at set up like this? I'm at 4 but on stove temp 7 I'm only burning 2/3 the way down the pot. No smoke in the stove can I crank it up till I get an inch from the end? The only thing I see so far that I don't like is not being able to see the stir rod turn and count the seconds between each cycle to see how hard the stoves running. OCD

I have been running on 3+ feed because of the quality pellets. Any greater will drop live pellets if the stove continues to call for full heat for a long time. Better pellets on 4. Normal winter conditions with temps below 25, room temp auto.Room temp set around 72 when cold. If warmer, room temp manual as home with water heater eats 10K+ till temps get into fifties. When we stayed below zero for 4 plus days I averaged 2.5lbs an hour. Good luck.TV just flashed Winter storm watch for Friday, all forms of falling water for here with high winds. Have to get fresh gas for generators tommorow.

Suppose to be all rain here but we've been starting every morning in the mid-teens. I'll take a foot of snow over 1/2 inch of ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.