Pdv restrictor plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokinbubba

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2019
Central Ohio
Has anyone opened up the slot in their restrictor plate to allow it to be closed more? I would like to feed less pellets since these gs's are really short. I already closed it as much as possible. Run on "d" mode, magic numbers on 1-5-1. I dont know how to lower the feed rate anymore.
When i used longer pellets the stove would idle down to 1-2" flames. This shipment is WAY shorter and my house temps keep climbing. Im afrade i will only b able to use my stove 3 to 4 weeks a year when the temps drop below 35deg. It has been an unusually warm winter. Would i run into problems by opening the slot and closing the hopper plate more? Thx, Bubba

Here is another thought. I do a lot of thinking sitting here roasting... i noticed my flame goes from 2" to 12" after the lower auger dumps. I timed my lower auger at 2rpm. I had thought that the lower auger rpm didnt matter but now i think that thought is flawed. With the lower auger pushing pellets out twice as fast it does not allow the top auger to meter the lower auger properly. Thus the liwer auger is not filling consistantly. Maybe filling every 3 flutes instead of every flute. Am i making sense??? Question is, if i put in a 1rpm lower motor, will i get jams?? I thought i read both were supposed to b 1rpm. What does everyone think? Attached are photos of pre dump and post dump.
Pdv restrictor platePdv restrictor plate

They are both supposed to be 1 rpm. You are thinking correctly. The way it is now you will not get a constant flame. It will flare up and then burn down. Yes you could open the slot and close up the opening but you will find with a 1 rpm on the bottom it will be a more consistent burn

Thanks Sir. I plan to call ESW this AM.

Just got off the phone with ESW. Spoke to Mike. He tells me that any RPM motor will give me the same flame since the upper auger meters and the bottom just delivers. He thinks my problem is with the small size of the pellets. I am going to dremel my restrictor plate to see if I can get another 1/8" closure or I am going to have to invest in a few bags of long pellets to slow my feed until it gets cold outside. I really didn't want to swap out my lower auger since its a Gleeson Avery. We both agreed that I will be super pleased if winter ever comes to town. Mike is absolutely the MASTER.

I’m sorry. I can’t agree with Mike on this one. Think about it, if the upper auger drop a cup of pellets to the lower. The lower auger will empty the tube faster then the upper can replace to keep a steady flame. Am I missing something here ‍♂️

I’m sorry. I can’t agree with Mike on this one. Think about it, if the upper auger drop a cup of pellets to the lower. The lower auger will empty the tube faster then the upper can replace to keep a steady flame. Am I missing something here ‍♂
I just ordered a 1rpm Gle Avery. I will report back when it gets here and is installed... I wanted one on the shelf anyway as a backup. Im a firm believer of "Trust but verify"

Last edited:
Used a rat tail file and opened the restrictor plate slot another 1/4". Seems to have lowered the flame some but not much.

Reactions: BackDoc and Ssyko
Well, the test has begun. Just installed a 1rpm Gleeson Avery lower auger motor. Will report back when test is complete.

Last edited:
Test results: no appreciable change between the 2rpm and 1rpm motor in the lower auger. Flame goes up then down. Up then down. Didnt smooth out anything.

Smoke at what heat range where you running the test at? If I am on 1 or 2 mine will fluctuate up and down. But if I crank it up it will hold steady

Smoke at what heat range where you running the test at? If I am on 1 or 2 mine will fluctuate up and down. But if I crank it up it will hold steady
Running on a stat so at idle heat range 1. Magic numbers 151. It hasnt been cold enough to run anything above 1 heat range. I really wish this stove had an "E" mode. D runs me out da house when outside temps are above 40f

Running on a stat so at idle heat range 1. Magic numbers 151. It hasnt been cold enough to run anything above 1 heat range. I really wish this stove had an "E" mode. D runs me out da house when outside temps are above 40f
Then I think it will definitely surge then. Remember these Englander Stoves are a good stove in my opinion but also a cheaper stove. That being said they do run on the rough side. Run it and enjoy it.

Agreed. Dont get me wrong. Love my stove. Just want to get the most out of it.