pdvc 25 auger motor repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Faustus

Minister of Fire
So, my auger motor quit. it was a replacement by gleason-avery. I dont remember how old it is. few years tops. i took it off and the gearbox was fine but the motor was having trouble turning. i took off the endcap and tried to spin the rotor and it was gummy. i put a few drops of 3 in 1 oil and it freed right up and spins very freely now. It's back in the stove and working fine again. I have another one on hand.

My question is does this sort of repair work for the long haul or does the oil dry up in a few days and i'll be looking at the same problem? is there a better oil to put on it or once it does this is it better to swap the part out?

Ill take a guess and say its the bottom auger?
From all the reading i have done alot of people who dont mind getting a little dirty swap the auger motors on ocasion.. top to bottom, bottom to top.. it prolongs the life since the bottom auger runs constant. If it is in fact the lower motor you might gain a season or 2 or more by swapping them. I would buy another motor at some point just for a spare. Keeping it lubed will help it last longer as well since they are just bushings i believe and not ball bearing. Alot of people just wait till something breaks before worrying but a little extra care can go a long ways.

Ill take a guess and say its the bottom auger?
From all the reading i have done alot of people who dont mind getting a little dirty swap the auger motors on ocasion.. top to bottom, bottom to top.. it prolongs the life since the bottom auger runs constant. If it is in fact the lower motor you might gain a season or 2 or more by swapping them. I would buy another motor at some point just for a spare. Keeping it lubed will help it last longer as well since they are just bushings i believe and not ball bearing. Alot of people just wait till something breaks before worrying but a little extra care can go a long ways.

Yes, It's the bottom auger. The bottom auger on this stove is a critical item, because if that one stops, the upper one still pushes pellets. That leaves a path of pellets from the burn pot right to the hopper. I've never had a hopper fire but that is probably because i've always caught the issue fairly soon.

I have a whole box of new parts for this stove - all the gaskets, an auger motor, combustion blower and convection blower. so i'm good if the auger decides to quit for good. just wanted to know if i should let it run and see what happens or swap it out now. Its been running since i first posted with no issues or weird sounds.

I have the pdv so i know the lower auger is a critical part... thats why i say put the "repaired" motor on the top...

As stated already, put the lower motor on top and switch the upper to the bottom. It does prolong the motor life.
Cleaning and lubricating motor shafts and bearings/bushings will keep them running more smoothly, and also prolong their life.

Bill

Using the 3 in 1 oil in the blue can is preferable, since it takes the heat without gumming up so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.