PDVC heat output question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

margomonk

Nov 28, 2009
Taneytown, Maryland
Hi everyone-
I've been reading here for over a year and finally decided to get off my butt and post. I've been burning with an Englander PDVC for a little over a year now and I was wondering- do you think you get more heat out of the pellet stove (if you are burning on low) with the room air blower set on a higher setting or a lower one? In other words- at a heat setting of 2(LFF at 5 and LBA at 3)if the stove puts out 220 degrees with the room air blower on 2 and 170 degrees with the blower on 3(same fuel feed and low burn air setting) is it still putting out the same amount of heat and it is just pushing it out faster into the room, or do you get more heat by letting the stove run hotter?

I choose to run my blower one setting higher than my heat setting in any heat setting. I understand what you are saying and im not sure there is a real answer. the fire is the fire creating the same heat no matter what the blower is set at. the question to ask yourself may be does the higher fan speed help the air to circulate to the rest of your house better than a low fan speed. ie stove room is wicked hot on low speed and the rest of house is cool or is the temp of the house more equal with a high fan speed? I think that is the only thing that would really matter. the fire is the fire after all (but yes I would say an excessive fan speed would not allow air to heat inside the stove to make it benaficial. haven't really tried this with my englander but on my big e I have ran it on a low temp and a high fan speed trying to force air further and the air was cool coming out from the tubes, turning down the high fan allowing the tubes to heat higher and then more the air with another fan source was the way to go)

Thanks yknot- that's what I was getting at. Having the fan on a higher setting seems to feel cooler, but I don't want to waste heat by letting it all go out the vent pipe. The house is so old and cold that it only heats the living room and bedrooms above it, but it does keep us much warmer in that room and it saves the oil furnace from coming on every 15 minutes when it's cold. When it's just cool outside it will warm the whole downstairs with a fan running to circulate the air.

emm said:
....do you think you get more heat out of the pellet stove (if you are burning on low) with the room air blower set on a higher setting or a lower one?......
Hi emm, welcome to the forum.

I used to have an Avalon Astoria, and now have an Englander 10-cpm, and I always run the fan 1-2 setting higher than the heat setting. If I had the Astoria on "5" (medium), I'd always run the blower on 6-7. Same thing I'm doing now w/ the Englander.

BTW, I think you'd get more heat on the low settings (1 & 2) if you decreased your LFF to 4 and raised the LBA to 5 or 6.....I think you have too many pellets going in for the amount of air you have....just my opinion, but give it a try and see.

Thanks macman; I did try a higher LBA setting with the LFF low and it kept putting my fire out. I try different settings and it seems like unless there are a lot of pellets feeding, I can't seem to turn my air up higher than my feed rate. My pellets do seem to be moving around a bit in the burn pot. I will keep tinkering with it.

you get the same BTUs from the stove regardless of blower setting, if the heat setting is constant. my opinion is you will distribute the heat that the stove creates more evenly throughout the room/house with the higher fan setting.

I always use a higher fan setting on my Englander, as it does seem to help. I set my fan speed to 7 with my fuel setting at 1, fan 8 - fuel 2, and a fan speed of 9 when burning at fuel speed 3 or higher.

For me, it works out well, and I have never had to turn my stove up higher than a 5 fuel feed setting. I'm sure that other people may have different results depending on what stove they have,the size of their house, and many other factors. The best thing to do is experiment a bit to find out what works good in your situation.

I set my blower speed one setting higher. Works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.