PE 27 liner clearance ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lab17

Sep 25, 2012
Buying my first wood stove pretty much narrowed it to a PE 27, but have a few others in mind still. I keep getting differing install approaches from dealers. It will go in the basement of a ranch style house. One says they can pipe out the wall right above the sill plate, while another says the clearances for the 6.5 OD pipe is not enough with the 2x12 joist and so I have to go through the block (basement wall). Interested if anyone on here can provide me info on which approach is correct and will be safe, meeting all codes?
Thanks

The sill plate install sounds dubious. Even double-wall is going to require 8" clear from the floor above and 6" clear to the adjacent floor joists.

Regarding the codes, call your local building department, they may have a fact sheet and will be the final word on how it should be done.

Also probably not what you want to hear, but, I would consider the effort of getting the wood to the stove in a basement (unless it has a walkout) and research the effectiveness of heating a home from the basement with a wood stove (if that is your goal).

Madison
I know- I've tried telling that to my wife, but she wants to use the basement so it should be plenty toasty down there and hopefully I'll get some radiant heat through the floors. I'm still working on what is my best option upstairs with a prefab 1980 fireplace, with masonry stone that we don't really want to remove, but might have to take down and put back up.
Thanks for the info its appreciated

Can you post some pictures of the two flue outlet locations in question? Regarding heat radiation through the floors, it's not going to be a significant change. You'll need to move hot air or you could have a very hot basement with little effect upstairs other than warmer floors. Where would the stove be located in relationship to the basement stairs? Can this door be left open? How large an area is the basement and is it wide open or partitioned? Is it insulated?

The stove will be in a 450sqft room with a 6' long hall to the stairs(the hall would be the short arm of an "L" and the room the long arm of an "L") Tthe door remains open all the time. The stove would be 15' from the opening to hall which leads upstairs. I can open another large door and let the heat spread to the rest of the unfinished portion of the basement (1,000sqft). Upstairs is all open concept 1,200 sqft. I don't have pics but it would be going through a cinder block foundation wall. I have determined that is the best option and probably only with joist spacing.

That's a big stove for a small space. Keep us posted on how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.