PE Alderlea firebrick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
According to the owners manual the firebricks are 9"x4-1/2"x 1-1/14" but when I tried to fit 2 replacement TSC bricks in they would not fit with 2 bricks side by side. I measured the pumice bricks I removed and found they actually measure 4-3/8" wide VS the claimed 4-1/2" and the TSC bricks were dead on.. I ended up grinding ~1/16" off of the TSC bricks with a masonry wheel in my angle grinder and they fit great now. Now I have the back of the stove lined with 3 of the hard TSC firebricks and saved one of the pumice bricks for side or bottom use where they are not subject to impact :)

Ray

Good thing you had a grinder. Still sounds like a PITA. Maybe the bricks that had been seasoned through use in the stove shrunk? But then they would have been looser fitting in the stove. Weird. When I was looking at the Alderlea, the sales lady said it would be easy to replace the bricks because they were a common size.

Good thing you had a grinder. Still sounds like a PITA. Maybe the bricks that had been seasoned through use in the stove shrunk? But then they would have been looser fitting in the stove. Weird. When I was looking at the Alderlea, the sales lady said it would be easy to replace the bricks because they were a common size.
Pumice definition: A light, porous, glassy lava, used in solid form as an abrasive and in powdered form as a polish and an abrasive.

I seriously doubt this stuff will shrink and feel that the 4-1/2" is not really that measurement.. I had 2 perfect 4-1/2" bricks and they would not fit in the space that were occupied by the pumice bricks.. BTW the hard bricks work fine and should withstand abuse much better.. Grinding them down took 2 minutes and easy to do. I clamped 2-4" wide boards on both sides of the brick and resized them..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.