1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

PE Alderlea firebrick

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by raybonz, Dec 9, 2012.

1. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    According to the owners manual the firebricks are 9"x4-1/2"x 1-1/14" but when I tried to fit 2 replacement TSC bricks in they would not fit with 2 bricks side by side. I measured the pumice bricks I removed and found they actually measure 4-3/8" wide VS the claimed 4-1/2" and the TSC bricks were dead on.. I ended up grinding ~1/16" off of the TSC bricks with a masonry wheel in my angle grinder and they fit great now. Now I have the back of the stove lined with 3 of the hard TSC firebricks and saved one of the pumice bricks for side or bottom use where they are not subject to impact :)

Ray

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. HomeBruin

HomeBruin New Member

Loc:
    Califon, NJ
    Good thing you had a grinder. Still sounds like a PITA. Maybe the bricks that had been seasoned through use in the stove shrunk? But then they would have been looser fitting in the stove. Weird. When I was looking at the Alderlea, the sales lady said it would be easy to replace the bricks because they were a common size.
  3. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Pumice definition: A light, porous, glassy lava, used in solid form as an abrasive and in powdered form as a polish and an abrasive.

I seriously doubt this stuff will shrink and feel that the 4-1/2" is not really that measurement.. I had 2 perfect 4-1/2" bricks and they would not fit in the space that were occupied by the pumice bricks.. BTW the hard bricks work fine and should withstand abuse much better.. Grinding them down took 2 minutes and easy to do. I clamped 2-4" wide boards on both sides of the brick and resized them..

Ray