PE Alderlea T5 burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cssmit

Sep 15, 2014
N. Idaho Panhandle
Hello all. Just a general question. What "real world" burn times should I expect from a PE Alderlea T5? I do realize that there are many factors(wood quality and type; familiarity with stove; climate; etc). For burn time, I am referring to the time from full reload, to enough coals left to reload and start a fire.

I have the Spectrum same firebox as yours, I'm heating 1200sqft mostly all open floor plan and 1 large ceiling fan in reverse, Burning hardwood, maple - ash -mulberry. I'll fire a {Full load} just below the baffle about 10:45pm Char it good, slowly back down the air in steps, watching the 11:00 news, internal stack 18" above stove 650- 800 degrees, stovetop under the trivet will be 550-600 degrees by 11:30pm air is just cracked secondaries burning well, Wake up about 7:00 am open the air a bit, Lots of heat yet in coals, Rake them to the front let them burn down to about half, Reload about 8:30-9:00 am with a smaller load 4 splits, This will burn good until about 2:30-3:00 with good coals, Rake coals to the front open the air a bit again burn coals down, Reload 4 splits at 3:00-4:00 just as the wife is getting home then repeat the above, Ready to load again at 10:30-11:00pm for the night. This is my schedule when it hangs around the teens at night and 20's daytime. My whole house is always 71-73 degrees, Bedrooms are cooler as we keep the doors closed during the day. Yep we like it warm as we both have arthritis, We wear sweat shorts and tee's most of the time when relaxing. If it gets 0 or below I run full loads during the day, and still keep it 70+. The fire boxes are the same on these stoves but mine is enameled steel shell. The Alderla is cast iron shell, It should radiate heat a bit longer. Right now it's 30 outside I only have 3 large splits in tonite. I use a commercial 3" dial thermometer, with a short stem inserted in my flue pipe hole. 300- 1200 degree range. I was not satisfied with a condor internal pipe temp gage. I want to know how hot I am in that pipe, And a good IR gun for stove top. jay

I've reloaded on coals from anywhere between six and eighteen hours. Lots of variables, but I think when pushing it, seven-eight hours is pretty average. Ten hours or so on an average winter day. With good quality hardwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.