PE Alderlea T5 insert issues...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow&Flame

Minister of Fire
Jun 6, 2011
Central Arkansas
I am almost ready to install my insert but have some problems already.
The insert came without one of the surround panels and the nut that holds
the leveling leg on one side is broken and the other seems loose. I also
noticed that the primary air hole is so covered with welding slag that the
plate just inside the door wont sit down over it...(see pic) All of this and
I havent even got it moved yet!

Sorry about the poor quality pics...

Attachments

• 2011_1018Image0003.jpg
    2011_1018Image0003.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 743
  • 2011_1018Image0001.jpg
    2011_1018Image0001.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 780
That looks odd. The T6 has a very substantial doghouse manifold welded there, no burn hole like this. It looks unfinished.

Can someone with a T5 stove pull their boost manifold cover and check to see what their stove has there?

Well, looks like the PE quality control continues to slide downhill.
I'd send that back and demand a new one now!
Unf'nbelievable!

So far I am very unimpressed with this stove. The weld quality is not good at all.
I am going to talk with the stove dealer tomorrow and see what can be done.
I just dont need all this s&%t right now....

You paid good money for that insert. Demand you moneys worth!

Lots of PE issues right now. Kind of surprising.

Should have gone with my instincts and just kept my fireplace. When we had disagreements about what stoves to get and kept getting farther away from home with the dealer and higher
with the prices.

nah dude, stick with it, you gonna luv what you'll get out of it. Seems like a bad apple, so get what you know is right and settle for nothing less.

Shadow&Flame; said:
Should have gone with my instincts and just kept my fireplace. When we had disagreements about what stoves to get and kept getting farther away from home with the dealer and higher
with the prices.

Odds are it will be fixed and your be very happy with it. I'm just surprised with the string of reported PE issues.

Sorry to hear about your issues with the T5 insert. It does seem like PE continues to have quality control issues. My Vista insert has been bulletproof (so far...) going into its fourth season. Anything you put in there will be better than an open fireplace, waaay better. Even my little Vista puts out a lot more heat than the fireplace did and it doesn't suck the heat out of the house either.

Shadow&Flame; said:
Thanks...just gotta see what they say...

Can you post pictures of all the the issues you are currently seeing on this stove? Start with a wider shot of the sputter weld hole so that we can see the entire boost manifold area.

Also, there should have been a quality control checklist with the stove. We're all the QC steps checked? By your descriptions, it sounds like there may have been some skipped.

Pic one shows how the manifold sticks up on the left side of the door.

Other pics are to show rest of the stove and the air hole itself.

Attachments

• 2011_1019Image0004.jpg
    2011_1019Image0004.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 587
  • 2011_1019Image0005.jpg
    2011_1019Image0005.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 583
  • 2011_1019Image0007.jpg
    2011_1019Image0007.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 592
  • 2011_1019Image0008.jpg
    2011_1019Image0008.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 571
I was going to wait until the weekend after I cleaned the stove, but here are some shots of the T6 doghouse with the boost manifold cover removed. First two shots are from outside the stove. The last shot is looking from the inside out.

Attachments

• IMG_0888web.jpg
    IMG_0888web.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_0890web.jpg
    IMG_0890web.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_0891web.jpg
    IMG_0891web.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 512
Please climb out of the T6 now, BG. :p

That's a strange looking problem, Shadow & Flame. It will be interesting to hear PE weigh in and give their analysis. Maybe you'll luck up and it will be "cosmetic" only...

Does the dealer have a freestanding T5 on the floor? My be worth a field trip.

I talked with the dealer and sent some pictures of the problem. He was looking at
the stoves and was calling Pacific Energy to see what to do about the issue.
The dealer is about 120miles from here and I dont know when I will be able
to make it there. With work and my parents both having health issues right
now, I have enough trouble finding the time to stay sane.

It would be nice to see another T5 image with the boost manifold removed.

IMHO the area in question looks sorta like a field repair , just looking at the way the metal around that weld is discolored. Plus with the other damages in the legs, I would hazard a guess that the stove was repaired/tinkered with after shipping??? I believe the stoves would normally be shipped from PE to distributor, then to the retailer, then to customer. Not that this helps with the situation. That weld looks worse than the PE welds. Even worse then the welds I did in shop class in 10th grade.

I got the stove in the shipping crate, so it wasnt evedent that it had been tampered with
in any way after the factory.

What worries me more at this point is what I cant see on it...what else is welded wrong!

madison said:
I believe the stoves would normally be shipped from PE to distributor, then to the retailer, then to customer. ...

Make that, PE -> distributor -> PE for crappy repair -> distributor -> Retailer -> customer. Even with what looks like the original shipping crate, with a missing surround panel, missing/loose leveling bolt sounds to me like this insert has been mishandled by somebody along the chain.

Curious, did you pick up the stove yourself -- 120 miles away from the retailer? Wow!

Yep...picked it up myself. That was the closest dealer I could find that carried PE stoves.
It saved me quite a bit over delivery. Now that something is wrong I am sure I will be
taking it back on my dime and time again... >:-(

I have the T5 stove. I agree in that the QA/QC dept missed this. Although not a problem by much. Comparing pics, it looks like the welder got a little carried away. Does there seem to be any other issues beyond this? You may be able to work with the dealer rather than do an R&R. Here's a few pics of mine.

Attachments

• 100_1046.jpg
    100_1046.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 448
  • 100_1054.jpg
    100_1054.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 485
Status
Not open for further replies.