PE FP-30 Gravity Vent Ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M.

Feeling the Heat
Mar 18, 2012
Green Bay, WI
Here is my new PE FP 30 unit. I would like to connect both gravity vents but had also planned to install a TV above this unit. The vents are supposed to be 67in off the floor and 12in below the ceiling. I could turn them into the room behind the unit which is the master bedroom. Otherwise go above the TV causing the gravity vents to pass through the attic. What would you do? How much heat can I expect from the vents? The unit also has a front forced air vent using a fan. Pic below:
FP30.jpg

One vented to the rear behind the unit may be nice. Can they be vented out the side wall to the left or right?

To the right is an outside wall, to the left is a chase for my basement class A pipe. Thinking about not mounting the TV above this fireplace...

There are a couple downsides to having the tv above the mantel. Additional heat and stiff necks from having to look upward. The mantel will block some of the heat, but it must be at least 16.5" above the stove. That may not leave any room for TV + vents.

Here is what we came up with. The vents are both out into the living room. Wondering how this unit will heat...20150413_171700.jpg

No heat to the bedroom? It should heat well providing the heat trapped by the high ceiling gets circulated.

Good call on not putting the TV above the fireplace. You can often mitigate the heat from the insert overheating the TV with a mantle acting as a shield of sorts. However, most of the TVs I've seen mounted over a fireplace are positioned too high on the wall for comfortable viewing in my opinion. The best placement for a TV is about at eye level when you are sitting in your normal viewing chair/sofa. When you are forced to tilt your head and look up for long periods of time while you watch shows or movies on the TV it can cramp up your neck muscles.

You have not stated how large of an area you are attempting to heat, but I think you will be OK without the gravity vent feeding into the bedroom. Most of the heat is going to come from the forced air fan. I have a very similar set-up with my FPX in that it backs to the bedroom like yours. There is no vent option on an FPX. I really like that I can keep my living area in the mid 70's and the bedroom stays in the mid 60's for sleeping. My experience with the FPX is that it can put out a large amount of heat. Turndown is more of an issue than inadequate heating. I would expect that other large ZC fireplaces like the FP30 would give similar performance. I have never had any problem with it keeping the upstairs 1600 ft2 living area with 17 ft elevated ceilings in the 70's even with outside temperatures down to -20 F. I do find the ceiling fan to be invaluable. Sometimes I forget to run it, and it can raise the temperatures in my living area by 5 degrees.in a few minutes when I finally turn it on.

I also agree with BG and Nick about TV's over a fireplace. Bad idea to be avoided if at all possible.

The home is approximately 2000 square feet, energy star rated. Also plan to install a 30-nc in the basement family room.

Status
Not open for further replies.