pe insert floor model

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyg

Jul 23, 2008
nw new jersey
went looking for a pacific energy insert ( medium size ) today ..dealer asked if i was interested in his 2 year old floor model ..all black ..minor scratches..which he would paint..price $ 1650.00... is this a decent deal ??

The PE pacific (mid-size) is selling for $2085.00 at the dealer in my area which by-the-way is located less than 4 blocks from the PE factory. Jump on it!! :)

Seems a little high. How is it trimmed out? Basic model is a bit over $1800 new. The gold door and trim brings it up to $2065 on Tom's site.

$150-$200 discount for a two year old stove is not that great a great deal unless the stove is very low use. Offer him $1200 and see if you can settle on about $1350.

BeGreen said:
$150-$200 discount for a two year old stove is not that great a great deal unless the stove is very low use. Offer him $1200 and see if you can settle on about $1350.

Agree. And I'm not sure the "he'll paint it" thing is necessarily a good thing. How good will the paint job be? What about in 6 months when the new paint is flaking off?

If you can't get it for a steep discount - 35% or more - scrape up the extra coin and go new - then you'll have recourse for issues, and you won't have to go hat in hand to a dealer who responds to your complaint, tritely, with, "well you knew you were buying a used stove as is."

Lets not confuse used and floor model here. There was no indication given that the dealer was using this stove.

I just don't see wood stoves, or inserts as being as sensitive as say electronics (where I'd be reluctant to buy a floor model).

Get it down to 1400 and enjoy her this winter.

sl7vk said:
Lets not confuse used and floor model here. There was no indication given that the dealer was using this stove.

I just don't see wood stoves, or inserts as being as sensitive as say electronics (where I'd be reluctant to buy a floor model).

Yes, very good point. I didn't read the OP closely enough. The only potential issues would be from moving it around or having people mistreat it, but those do seem unlikely to have resulted in damage.

yes.. this is a floor model ..not a used model...the interior is spotless ..i doubt it was ever burned in the showroom ...regardless i"ll try get the price down

bobbyg said:
yes.. this is a floor model ..not a used model...the interior is spotless ..i doubt it was ever burned in the showroom ...regardless i"ll try get the price down

I always like to deal in cash on things like this.

Walk in. Chat the dude up.

Then pull 1,300 or 1,400 in 100s out of your pocket and say, I'll give you 1,300 cash for it right now.

Usually works, or at least gets their best price in return.

They aren't as willing to drop the price if they think you're still shopping around.

sl7vk said:

Very good point, that makes a significant difference. I mistakenly assumed that it had been demonstrated on the showroom floor.

i bought the new pe insert for $1736.00...didn"t make sense to pay $ 1650.00 for a 2 year old floor model ..thanks for the help guys

Congratulations. Will this be replacing or supplementing the Castine?

this will be supplementing the castine..after a $ 850.00 oil fillup this may..i"ve had it ..i"ll be burning fulltime this year

Status
Not open for further replies.