PE Owners - Adding the ash dump system later?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dharmama

Oct 12, 2007
For some reason, my dealer told me that the ash dump system wasn't really that important and I didn't buy it. However, its cold up where we are and we're burning a lot and I don't want to let the stove go out all the way to remove ashes. Anyway, I'm thinking about adding the ash dump - is it too late after the stove is installed? I can tell the panel screws off the front of the pedestal so maybe its possible? Thanks. I have the PE Summit (not classic)

We need thechimneysweep to field this one.

Tom.....Tom....stop sellin stoves and check in on the forum, retrofit ash dump question line 1.

Whoop, sorry, I usually can hear it when someone on the forum hollers. Must have been helping a customer or some fool thing.

It is easiest to install the ash removal system when the stove is new, before you bolt on the pedestal. At this point, this will be a messy job, but do-able.

Let the stove go cold, empty the ashes, disconnect the stovepipe, pile up some cardboard boxes behind the stove and lay it over on its back.

Remove the pedestal, and also the cover from the underside of the ash chute opening in the firebox floor.

Bolt on the ash drawer hardware (part # SUMM.ASHPED). Remove the front plate from the pedestal and bolt the pedestal back onto the stove. Stand the stove up, and reverse-order the previous steps. Slide the drawer into the pedestal.

Remove the full floor brick that covers the ash chute, and replace it with the two cut-brick pieces from the original firebrick kit that you have likely tossed away by now. Or, ruin a hacksaw blade cutting the two pieces out of the full brick you just removed. The two pieces should flank the chute, leaving it exposed.

Hmmm...that sounds like a pain. Well, can I ask you, is the ash dump system really convenient or not worth the trouble? Can you put ashes w/embers into the ash dump or do you have to let stove cool off? thanks.

dharmama said:
Hmmm...that sounds like a pain. Well, can I ask you, is the ash dump system really convenient or not worth the trouble? Can you put ashes w/embers into the ash dump or do you have to let stove cool off? thanks.

I think it's definitely worth buying. I just looked @ my stove, and it looks like you can install the ash dump without tipping the stove back, or removing the pedestal. Once you remove the pedestal front cover, you have a big area to work through.

The ash dump kit comes with the trap door ass'y and the drawer. The drawer is big, and holds LOTS of ashes.

To answer your other question, you can put hot embers into the drawer, it is painted with the same hi-temp the rest of the stove is. I do that all the time, although I limit the amount of embers that go down there because thay still contain heat.
Those ashes with hot embers are probably safer in there than in a pail outside the stove.

I just use my poker to move the big embers to the RH side of the firebox, then I push the ashes down the hole.

That plate doesn't get re-installed on the pedestal, the drawer goes in there .Here's what I did with the plate from ours:

Attachments

• Pedestal plate.JPG
    Pedestal plate.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 227
Dont get me wrong the Summit is one heck of a stove probably the best out there ! but the ash dump leaves alot to be desired, I bought a AshTrap scoop and it works great for cleaning these stoves !

I think the ash dump is excellent.

I like the fact that is a square hole, not the grate type.
I like the fact that there is no gasket or seal on the pan itself, but the hole is spring loaded and seals itself...just cover with a little remaining ash.

It's easy to clean out even a warm stove.(usually around 300deg when I remove ash) Live coals are in the back after an extended burn, fine ash up front. Open the latch and rake some ash into the hole, close it up, and rake live coals to the front. Presto, doesn't get much easier than that !

You have to stay on top of it tho, removing some every morning when running 24/7...if you let it build up to 3-4" of ash your going to have problems.

http://www.filmloop.com/cgi-bin/bv/.../BwhZTKqKJkmn4Tw4Lsq3R&flash=1&extAds=1&px=FL

Status
Not open for further replies.