PE owners and others....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
Hi all,
I just bought another 3 feet of Class A Dura Tech pipe for my Summit this will give me 17 feet of total pipe from stove to cap. Here is my question. I already have 3, three foot sections on my roof with a brace, is another 3 foot section going to be unsafe? Do I need to adjust where the brace is? Right now I have the brace just below the connection between the 2nd and 3rd three foot section. So is 12 feet (4 three foot sections) OK to do?
Thanks guys

I would double brace it. One at about the 4ft level and another at the 8ft level.

You should check the specs provided by your chimney manufacturer and consult with your local Code Authority, but in the code jurisdictions covered by our service department, this would be the ruling:

1) You must install a roof brace if the chimney extends more than 5 feet above the flashing.

2) The roof brace must be installed so that no more than 5 feet of chimney extends above the draw band (the part that attaches the roof brace to the chimney).

3) The finished assembly must form a stable structure.

In other words, if the legs on the roof brace kit are long enough and sturdy enough so that a stable tripod can be formed, we'd be allowed to simply raise the roof brace's draw band until it is less than 5 feet below the top of the chimney.

Good point. I'm not sure about Excel, both Selkirk and DuraVent require a support for every 5' of pipe.

from Simpson:
Bracket must be installed at every 5-foot increment of chimney height above the roofline,
leaving no more than 5 feet of chimney extending above the last pipe bracket.

Status
Not open for further replies.