PE Pacific Insert Not Bullet-Proof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
BrotherBart said:
Get thee behind me Satin. And don't push. :zip:

Satin ... is that like a laquer????

:)

Alright already. Satan. Beelzebub. The guy with the the biggest OWB. Whatever damn it. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
BrotherBart said:

Alright already. Satan. Beelzebub. The guy with the the biggest OWB. Whatever damn it. :lol:

Heck, BB.. ya left a whole this wide <........................>, I couldn't resist !!!

BrotherBart said:
BrotherBart said:

Heck, BB.. ya left a whole this wide <........................>, I couldn't resist !!!

I know. I need to get the guy's name right. I have been working for him for 62 years and will be transferred to the the home office some time soon I am sure. :lol:

By the way, how wide is a "whole"?

Wayyyyy bigger than a hole, that's why it has a "w" in it !!!

:lol:

Sisu said:
Hi Hog,

You are correct. The dealership, in my case, did not conduct the original install. However, at this point, they are acting as an agent of PE, via the warranty, and have agreed to conduct the reinstallation.

I spoke to Cory from PE this evening (since they are three hours behind being out in BC). I had a good chat with him and he was calling just to see how everything was going. He said he spoke to the distributor in regard to the weld repairs to my stove to ensure it was more than complete.

He did say that they have noticed a small number of stoves have exhibited cracks in the areas we have seen. He stated that these were in stoves that were run pretty hard, but he made a point to say that they were not overfired. He said that the internal cracks that they have seen settle out and do not continue further, but there too, he made a point saying that they have no problems repairing any cracks and standing by their warranty.

Anyway it was reassuring to speak with him. I didn't push the 5 year warranty interpretation, since it seems like things are working out. Now I just have to wait for the dealership to schedule me in and I will be reunited with my stove!

Great news! Congrats. I bet your feeling much better now. Now your going to go nuts wanting it in like yesterday!!!!!!
Anyways, I can think of 2 folks that so far, are very pleased with the warranty and PE standing behind it.
I honestly think they may have more instances of this issue than letting on. But to admit so without checking it out good, would be a PR nightmare.
Time will tell. I still love my Summit, and maybe someday will be loving my Englander also. Gonna have to get Mike or Corie on the phone to discuss clearances.

Hogwildz said:
Sisu said:
Hi Hog,

You are correct. The dealership, in my case, did not conduct the original install. However, at this point, they are acting as an agent of PE, via the warranty, and have agreed to conduct the reinstallation.

I spoke to Cory from PE this evening (since they are three hours behind being out in BC). I had a good chat with him and he was calling just to see how everything was going. He said he spoke to the distributor in regard to the weld repairs to my stove to ensure it was more than complete.

He did say that they have noticed a small number of stoves have exhibited cracks in the areas we have seen. He stated that these were in stoves that were run pretty hard, but he made a point to say that they were not overfired. He said that the internal cracks that they have seen settle out and do not continue further, but there too, he made a point saying that they have no problems repairing any cracks and standing by their warranty.

Anyway it was reassuring to speak with him. I didn't push the 5 year warranty interpretation, since it seems like things are working out. Now I just have to wait for the dealership to schedule me in and I will be reunited with my stove!

Great news! Congrats. I bet your feeling much better now. Now your going to go nuts wanting it in like yesterday!!!!!!
Anyways, I can think of 2 folks that so far, are very pleased with the warranty and PE standing behind it.
I honestly think they may have more instances of this issue than letting on. But to admit so without checking it out good, would be a PR nightmare.
Time will tell. I still love my Summit, and maybe someday will be loving my Englander also. Gonna have to get Mike or Corie on the phone to discuss clearances.

Thanks Hog! Yeah the sooner the better, but I don't want it rushed either. I just want it done right.

As soon as it is scheduled, I will let you know. I will make sure to take a lot of pictures of the reinstalled repaired stove and post them here. I might have to crack open a few windows when I first fire her up. How stinky did it get after the new paint heated up for you?

Sisu said:
Hogwildz said:
Sisu said:
Hi Hog,

Thanks Hog! Yeah the sooner the better, but I don't want it rushed either. I just want it done right.

As soon as it is scheduled, I will let you know. I will make sure to take a lot of pictures of the reinstalled repaired stove and post them here. I might have to crack open a few windows when I first fire her up. How stinky did it get after the new paint heated up for you?

Was stinkier than I remember on the new install break in fires.
Of course I didn't read the can and fired the insert up about 8 hours after I painted it.
But seems ok, nothing peeling, cracking or flaking off.

Wow just noticed my last post disappeared. Damn right wing mods. I better run to church & confess my sins.

Sisu said:
Hi Hog,

Ok.. I'm confused.. Who actually un-installed the stove so it can be repaired?...

Make sure you inspect that puppy before they bring it into the house.

Ck-1: The un-installation was done by the dealership, who removed the stove and brought it to a welder that they use. Their welder stated that he couldn't fix it. From there, the firebox went to the Distributor's welder, who did apparently fix it.

Don't worry. I will be inspecting the stove before it is taken off the truck! Anyone have access to a portable X-ray machine?! According to the dealership, the re-install probably won't happen until next week.

Well, the house is a nice toasty 75, (a bit warm for me, but you know how women need it to be like the inferno of hell), so far so good. Since getting the EBT hooked up correctly, and all other issued taken care of, I can control the running temps much better. Been cutting it back when thermo reads 400-450 ish, figuring actual stove top temp would be 500-550ish, and she will cruise at that temp or slightly higher.
Received the reimbursement check from PE a couple days ago. Just got to get to the bank and cash it, then pay the welder and the truck rental.
Total cost including reimbursement for the can of paint.......... $259.00.
A relatively cheap out of pocket expense for PE. I credit the low cost to myself being involved and pro-active, and arranging everything.
I saved them some coin as far as I am concerned, and got the insert fixed.
I credit PE, the dealer & Corey in particular for making this as smooth as it could be. And not giving me the run around.
The dealer really didn't do alot, but I am ok with that, I took control and got er done.
I bet it would have cost alot more if they had to send out for repairs.
So far, so good.

Hog, congrats on your repair. What kind of temps were you running when the EBT was not hooked up properly? Lately I have been getting temps between 600-750 and when I choke it down it stays there for hours. I usually start the fires to get the wood to coal like the manual states. By then the temps are high. Should I be choking it down sooner? If I do that the flames extinguish and just smolders but then it still burns everything in the firebox. Just worry about smoldering building creosote. Are you filling your firebox full and getting those temps. I just put about 4 red oak splits 15-16" long getting these temps.
Thanks.

Wacky1 said:
Hog, congrats on your repair. What kind of temps were you running when the EBT was not hooked up properly? Lately I have been getting temps between 600-750 and when I choke it down it stays there for hours. I usually start the fires to get the wood to coal like the manual states. By then the temps are high. Should I be choking it down sooner? If I do that the flames extinguish and just smolders but then it still burns everything in the firebox. Just worry about smoldering building creosote. Are you filling your firebox full and getting those temps. I just put about 4 red oak splits 15-16" long getting these temps.
Thanks.

When the EBT flapper was dislodged, she liked to spike to about 750 sometimes higher, even when I cut it back at 400-450-500 etc. Now, if I kill the air at same temps, it seems to hold steady at 550 range face temp, which equates to approx 650 stove top. I haven't loaded her to the gills yet, had some decent loads in it though. I had her up to 650 on the face mounted thermo last night, which I am equating to roughly 750 stove top temp. I am using semi moist Black Walnut. Mostly rounds and bark is still on and holding alot of moisture. It will smolder a tad at the lower temps. In time, as the wood dries out, it will even out the temp in the 550 range. Its still kinda warm here for the season so far. 50's during day, 30-40 at night. I suspect it will burn a lil better when the weather cools a bit more and I can get a stronger draft. Its completely different now, and I may find I have to leave the air lever open a lil bit now. Gonna have to experiment. A full load of good dry oak will be the test. To check the EBT isn't the worst thing in the world to get to. Lemme know if ya decide to, and I'll let ya know what ya have to do.

You might want to try cutting the air back a lil sooner, 450-550 range.

Just wanted to update. The dealership is coming Thursday morning to install the stove. I will take some photos of the install and repaired firebox.

How are the warranty claims coming along for the others who have had issues?

Hog: I am glad to hear the stove is working out well. It sounds like the repaired EBT is giving you more control over your burn. Awesome!

Hog ... When you took apart your EBT, how was it jammed - was it just knocked out of place and easily fixed ? I have not seen mine open since I got the stove, and I have been looking almost daily at various burn times. Wondering if removing to have a look might be wise if these things have the capacity to be bumped out of place during shipping! Or was it more difficult to fix than a simple realignment? (not meaning to hijack this thread, I'll keep it short and sweet). Thanks in advance.

MovingOffGrid said:
I believe we had a troll in our midst momentarily, and poof - the posts are gone! :)

I split the posts off to their own thread.

MovingOffGrid said:
Hog ... When you took apart your EBT, how was it jammed - was it just knocked out of place and easily fixed ? I have not seen mine open since I got the stove, and I have been looking almost daily at various burn times. Wondering if removing to have a look might be wise if these things have the capacity to be bumped out of place during shipping! Or was it more difficult to fix than a simple realignment? (not meaning to hijack this thread, I'll keep it short and sweet). Thanks in advance.

It was not so much jammed, as it was totally our of position and not set in place.
Its basically an "L" shaped metal flapper, with a small tab/pin off each side at the bend in the "L".
The rest in a slot on each side that is in a small bracket on each side.
Mine, neither pin was in a slot and the flapper was just laying there, cocked to the side, leaving the hole open full time.
Was easy to fix, The brackets on each side unscrew, put the flapper tabs back in the slots, set the brackets and re-screw.

Update:

November 25, 2009 - I have my stove back finally!! The re-install started at around 8:30 am and they finished at 10:30 am. The dealership guys were top notch and did an excellent job. It wasn't easy and some Murphy's law occurred. But they took the time to do the job properly. They even replaced one ss. connector to make the connection easier.

I did inspect the firebox before it left the truck. It looks like all the welds were beefed up and hopefully they will hold tight. The only thing that I did notice was that the small crack in the steel rim was not repaired from the outside and is still visible on close inspection. It is covered by a weld on the inside, so it is sealed. I will keep an eye on it and hopefully the other re-welds will remove the stresses of expansion and contraction.

So I got the stove up and running and I am enjoying the wood heat as I am writing this! I will write up a final summary when I have more time and have a chance to reflect. I wish a great Thanksgiving to all of the American woodburners out there!!

Attachments

• 09-25-Repaired woodstove 002.jpg
    09-25-Repaired woodstove 002.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 401
  • 09-25-Repaired woodstove 004.jpg
    09-25-Repaired woodstove 004.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 401
  • 09-25-Repaired woodstove 005.jpg
    09-25-Repaired woodstove 005.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 398
  • 09-25-Repaired woodstove 006.jpg
    09-25-Repaired woodstove 006.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 399
  • 09-25-Repaired woodstove 007.jpg
    09-25-Repaired woodstove 007.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 401
  • 09-25-Repaired woodstove 008.jpg
    09-25-Repaired woodstove 008.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 400
  • 09-25-Repaired woodstove 012.jpg
    09-25-Repaired woodstove 012.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 391
Looks like you are ready to take on another winter Sisu. Rock and roll brother.

Here are some more photos of the door rim of the stove and the before and after of the install.

Attachments

• 09-25-Repaired woodstove 001.jpg
    09-25-Repaired woodstove 001.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 397
  • 09-25-Repaired woodstove 019.jpg
    09-25-Repaired woodstove 019.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 380
  • 09-25-Repaired woodstove 020.jpg
    09-25-Repaired woodstove 020.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 379
  • 09-25-Repaired woodstove 021.jpg
    09-25-Repaired woodstove 021.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 395
  • 09-25-Repaired woodstove 018.jpg
    09-25-Repaired woodstove 018.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 382
Good to see it warming again. Got a new baffle too?

BrotherBart said:
Looks like you are ready to take on another winter Sisu. Rock and roll brother.

Thanks BrotherBart! The majority of success in this warranty claim is due to your's and other poster's advice, knowledge and comments. I felt well armed with information and support.

Come on winter!!! :)

BeGreen said:
Good to see it warming again. Got a new baffle too?

I did get a new baffle too! It was actually part of the original warranty claim I made back in early September, prior to discovering the cracked welds.

Sweet.
Where is the outer crack that still exists. Make sure you document it with photos now, and save them.
I am glad I had the option I had. I want your door!!!!!!!!!!! That is cool looking.
Wanna trade doors? ;)
Cory also okayed a new baffle for me, but I told him & dealer I want to wait till this burning season is over, I can't go without one at this point.
Your baffle seems to have more holes on thr bottom that run front to back?
New added design? Maybe to help burn the stuff towards the rear of the firebox more evenly. I haven't had many problems in that area, but on a full load, when she is gassing off, it will pop or explode in the back there.
I am guessing cause all those gasses are accumulating back there with and then igniting at once.
I personally have to give PE two Fonzie thumbs up for how they treated me and took care of my issues.
Just paid my neighbor today, shook his hand, and wished him a Happy Turkey day. His dad just died, and as I get older each year these days, I am appreciating the people and things in my life that matter.
Congrats my burning brethren, enjoy. And to all else, a happy, safe and peaceful holiday to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.