PE Pacific Insert Scaring Me @ The Moment.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update ... survived the night, no casualties except my pride :)

Wind started blowing last night (gusts to 30 - 50 MPH ) and I hadn't realized it (jamming to Eric Church & Brett Eldridge on the CD player !) Still doesn't fully explain what happened.

Fast forward to today, and I checked the PE late this morning, opened the door, and the bottom of the door gasket is dangling, and any residual glue underneath is is gone, outta here, checked out. The glass, is however, super super clean :mad:

Pretty powerful combo, as I said to BB (who was totally awesome, helping me last night, I thank you :) ! )

I have a gasket ready to go (got it from Tom a week ago) , will replace next Saturday AM, and let it sit, shut, on the insert all day. I think I should be good to go. Atleast I will have taken out the part of the equation that I can control ;)

Lesson learned - don't ignore your door gasket, give it lotsa love ()

Thanks for the update Dix. Sounds like a perfect storm. So glad all is ok. With a new gasket the insert should be back to its well behaved self.

For clarification, purposes what worked...door open or stove closed down tight.

Like some of the other posters I always thought shutting it down and starving the air would cool a stove down quicker than door open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Door of the insert open, windows in the room open .... cool gusty autumn night....... the cold air from the door open, air open, the piece or two of wet firewood, & fan on high.

For clarification, purposes what worked...door open or stove closed down tight.

Like some of the other posters I always thought shutting it down and starving the air would cool a stove down quicker than door open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The idea of a wide open door is to turn the stove into an open fireplace and send max heat up the chimney. As BB said at the outset, watch for embers. Sounds counter intuitive at first.

Naturally this is what you can do if you can't control the stove with the air control (hence Dix calling it runaway) which it looks like was due to a bad gasket so closing the door with air closed wasn't working.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
The difference in slowing down a EPA stove and a pre-EPA stove is that you can't shut off the airwash air or secondary air inputs on a EPA insert. So you just turn the secondary air and airwash into turbochargers with the door closed on a stove that is taking off for the moon. The door open breaks the vacuum in the firebox that is pulling that unregulated air into the wood load.

Sounds scary! Thanks for sharing the experience and wisdom.

I have a Jotul F3CB on a 30' straight up chimney and put some dry wood on a hot fire a few times as I learned my lessons. Someone on this forum (probably BB) taught someone else (and thereby me) that trick - open the door(s) and windows. Scary, probably not good for chimney, etc. but was the only thing that worked. I was almost ready to shoot it with the fire extinguisher. My sweep said my chimney was too clean for him to do any good though, so call him next year and maybe there'll be something for him to clean. At least something good came of it!

Reactions: srchar
The idea of a wide open door is to turn the stove into an open fireplace and send max heat up the chimney. As BB said at the outset, watch for embers. Sounds counter intuitive at first.

Naturally this is what you can do if you can't control the stove with the air control (hence Dix calling it runaway) which it looks like was due to a bad gasket so closing the door with air closed wasn't working.

The wind gusts were huge ... never experienced that before. The suction is astounding !!

The wind gusts were huge ... never experienced that before. The suction is astounding !!
Yes we were getting it here too. Sometimes the wind gives me a little trouble sometimes not. Good on ya keeping your cool and riding it out. Some folks never even notice such things and end up with warped, damaged stoves in short order.

In other news, looks like you could dip into the 30's tonight. I doubt I will but I know you're in a cold spot.

Both stoves already fired off, J !!!

It'll be about 30 here tonight. Top covered my tomatoes & peppers with a recycled shower curtain, too many to lose !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.