PE Pacific Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfgibson

Nov 2, 2008
Alabama
Below is a link to the install of our new Pacific insert. It went very well except for the fact that I am afraid of heights and the interesting alignment of the stove with the liner. We installed the liner on Saturday and the insert arrived on Monday.

I must say that I am very impressed with the stove after 3 nights of use. Unfortunately the past two nights haven't really been cool enough for stove use. Tonight it's about 58 outside, 76 in the living room and the stove is roasting at about 550. I am sitting beside a raised window as I type. It's nice to hear all the heat pumps running but mine. haha

I was a little concerned going with the PE because it is a fairly plain and simple design. We were initially drawn to the Jotul Rockland due to its flush design, but I couldn't justify spending around $3700 for the insert and liner system. The positive reviews on this forum as well as the advice from Nic36 who lives a few miles away really swayed me. We rode over a few weeks ago to a showroom and saw the Pacific in action. After seeing it in person my wife and I were sold. After seeing it with our own eyes we really appreciated the simple design. We were prepared to buy that day, but got jerked around a little bit by the salesman and just decided to leave the store. They were the only dealer within 2 hrs who carried Pacific Energy. I got linked up with Tom via this site and talked with him about buying, but all of the warranty issues made me a little bit nervous. I know he would take care of any issues, but I was just a little nervous espcially when I was spending a few thousand dollars. I was able to find a dealer in my geographic area who was reasonably close to Tom's price and was willing to ship to me.

The only real issue we had was due to the fact that my firebox is pretty deep. As the liner came through the damper it was hitting toward the back of the stove. I wound up using one of those black stove pipe articulating elbows to get the angle right. I don't see any problems with using that?

Anyway, sorry for the long winded post, here is the link to pictures of the install:
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a45/bgibson99/Insert/

Brian

Hi Brian.

I am looking into buying that exact same stove and was wondering if I could ask a couple of questions. I found a dealer with one in stock, plain black and he is asking $2k, does that sound about right? Also, what kind of liner did you buy?

Regards,
-Tucker

tkuhe said:
Hi Brian.

I am looking into buying that exact same stove and was wondering if I could ask a couple of questions. I found a dealer with one in stock, plain black and he is asking $2k, does that sound about right? Also, what kind of liner did you buy?

Regards,
-Tucker

Tucker that sounds about right. Does that include tax and everything? I paid $2250 for mine "out the door". This includes all surrounds, accessories, etc. Most of the dealers I talked to in my area priced everything a al carte. I think $2250 for this stove is pretty much MSRP, but there was no tax and they agreed to eat the freight. It was probably not a great deal, but was a few hundred less than dealers in my area were willing to do.

I wound up using the liner system made by Forever Flex. Duravent was my first choice, but I didn't want to wait for shipping so a local dealer agreed to get close to the online price and I just bought it all from him. I believe that I paid $477 before tax for 20' of 316 stainless flex liner, rain cap, top plate, and appliance connector. ventingpipe.com was cheaper by a little, but again I didn't want to wait.

I think you would be very happy with the Pacific. It's not as pretty as the Rockland or Hampton, but there is just something very appealing about it. It's a bit hard to explain. I am very glad that we went with it.

Brian

Brian AL said:
Below is a link to the install of our new Pacific insert. It went very well except for the fact that I am afraid of heights and the interesting alignment of the stove with the liner. We installed the liner on Saturday and the insert arrived on Monday.

I must say that I am very impressed with the stove after 3 nights of use. Unfortunately the past two nights haven't really been cool enough for stove use. Tonight it's about 58 outside, 76 in the living room and the stove is roasting at about 550. I am sitting beside a raised window as I type. It's nice to hear all the heat pumps running but mine. haha

I was a little concerned going with the PE because it is a fairly plain and simple design. We were initially drawn to the Jotul Rockland due to its flush design, but I couldn't justify spending around $3700 for the insert and liner system. The positive reviews on this forum as well as the advice from Nic36 who lives a few miles away really swayed me. We rode over a few weeks ago to a showroom and saw the Pacific in action. After seeing it in person my wife and I were sold. After seeing it with our own eyes we really appreciated the simple design. We were prepared to buy that day, but got jerked around a little bit by the salesman and just decided to leave the store. They were the only dealer within 2 hrs who carried Pacific Energy. I got linked up with Tom via this site and talked with him about buying, but all of the warranty issues made me a little bit nervous. I know he would take care of any issues, but I was just a little nervous espcially when I was spending a few thousand dollars. I was able to find a dealer in my geographic area who was reasonably close to Tom's price and was willing to ship to me.

The only real issue we had was due to the fact that my firebox is pretty deep. As the liner came through the damper it was hitting toward the back of the stove. I wound up using one of those black stove pipe articulating elbows to get the angle right. I don't see any problems with using that?

Anyway, sorry for the long winded post, here is the link to pictures of the install:

Brian

What warranty issues? Aren't the PEs lifetime guaranteed?

Bigg_Redd said:
Brian AL said:

Brian

What warranty issues? Aren't the PEs lifetime guaranteed?

There aren't any issues with the stove or its warranty, just some question of warranty coverage if you buy online. see the links below as this question has been addressed on the site already.
http://www.pacificenergy.net/online_sales.php
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/8665/P0/

Brian

Congratulations Brian. That looks like it is going to work well. Did you install a block-off plate? I'm not sure about your geographic region, but if this is in a cold area, that can make a difference in stove output. With the exterior chimney exposure, there may be a lot of heating outdoors without one.

BeGreen said:
Congratulations Brian. That looks like it is going to work well. Did you install a block-off plate? I'm not sure about your geographic region, but if this is in a cold area, that can make a difference in stove output. With the exterior chimney exposure, there may be a lot of heating outdoors without one.

Thanks BeGreen. I did not install a block off plate at my damper. I have thought about laying some insulation across the opening. Would that be of any help? Actually it seems like read on here somewhere that if you put a block plate at the top of the chimney, then you do not install a block off plate at the damper? I sort of thought that the warm air in the flu would help to insulate the liner and keep the draft going well? I don't know a lot about this area.

I live in northern Alabama, so I would call our climate fairly temperate. I searched around this morning and it looks like our average low in the winter months is around 40 degrees. (avg lows between oct-apr) What do you think? I haven't noticed the outside of the chimney being warm at all, but I also realize that's not a very accurate way to measure things.

Brian

In your climate, it probably is not as much an issue. If you were in New England, it can make a major difference. In a cold climate a block off plate can make the difference between the stove being adequate to the task and it falling behind. When it gets cold outside and the stove has been running for many hours, there is a fair amount of heat loss to outdoors via the exposed masonry. But if your coldest temps are in the 40s I wouldn't worry about it.

Hi Brian,

Sorry I didn't get your business, but happy for you that you decided on the Pacific Insert: you will love it.

I'm surprised nobody else has noticed this from your original post, but your entire liner system, including the adjustable elbow, needs to be stainless steel, and all components should be from the same manufacturer. Forever Flex offers a 316ti adjustable 90, part #ELLF-6-90, which you can order through your dealer.

howdy Tom
I was hoping you might weigh in on the install. I was a bit hesitant to use the black pipe adjustable elbow, but then I thought well this liner is going to hook up to a plate steel stove. That would be a transition from stainless to plate steel. I then thought well what's the difference in going from stainless, to black pipe, to the stove. Can you shed a little more light on why it would need to be a stainless elbow? I am curious. I thought since the black pipe piece was inside and rated for stove temps it really wouldn't matter. You have much more experience that my one DIY install, however. Is it one of the because the NFPA says so, or is there more to it?

Brian

It's the same reason you don't find mild steel liner kits for sale. Creosote corrodes mild steel, and will eventually eat through regular stovepipe, allowing air to leak in and exhaust gases & liquid creosote to leak out. Mild steel stovepipe is allowed in free-standing stove installations where it is easy to see when it must be replaced, but you can't see behind the surround panels of your insert.

Brian AL said:

Brian

Hi Brian,

Did you have any issues with putting the surround on? Did the side panels tie into the surround or just to the face of the stove? I am installing mine right now and the right panel seems to be putting a decent amount of force on the motor which I don't remember being like that when I took them off.

-Tucker

Status
Not open for further replies.