PE Spectrum door gasket is sagging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n1st

Jun 3, 2007
Enfield, CT
Hi Folks,

I just noticed that the door seal on my 07' PE Spectrum is saggind on the bottom side. Is it attached with an adhesive? How do I reattach it?

Thanks!

I have a Summit insert, but I assume it's the same. I had a corner come loose a few weeks back and a $2 tube of door gasket cement had me back in business in no time. With the door cool, I removed it and laid it face down on a piece of carpet so I didn't scratch anything. Gently lifted the gasket and gave it a good layer of cement, trying to get it right up to where it was still firmly attached. Let it sit for about 30 minutes to dry, put the door back on and fired it up. Staying stuck so far.

Thanks for the tips. When you removed the gasket, what'd ya see - cement, silicone, anything? I can't see much of anything. Whatever is holding it on is sure a thin layer.

From the factory it will be gasket cement. I myself started using hi temp silicone. Take your pick. I had better luck with the silicone. But its a 24hr set & cure rate with silicone.

We can put men in space but we can't invent instant curing hi temp silicone - geeesh!

Can you get this silicone at home depot or lowes?

I saw 500 & 600 degree rutland silicone today. Is there a higher temp, like 1000, available?

the 500 or 600 is fine. I used the 500. If you keep it under the gasket without alot of ooze it will be untouched. Any stuff that oozes out might burn off a lil. But what remains under the gasket will be ok. I just did this several times in some testing, works good.

Status
Not open for further replies.