PE stove or regency.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
flyfishn said:
Which offers a better product???????
Looking for mid size.

Both are a quality product. I had faced this same exact question when shopping for a new insert. I went with the PE Summit.
I am very happy with my choice. I am sure I would have been happy either way.
Check the warranty offered by Regency, I forget what it was. PE is limited lifetime.
I also liked the PE has variable speed blower. Make a list of what you want in a stove, what you must have, and what is ok either way. And compare by which offers more of what you want & need.

That is a really tough call, both are good stoves. Do you prefer a Ford or a Chevy? Some prefer the PE because of the secondary baffle design. But others prefer the Regency for the ashpan design or wide glass. Also consider the local dealer and how well the stove will be installed or serviced if required. FWIW, of the 61 stoves tested by Tom at the Chimney Sweep, the mid-sized PE had the longest burn time.

http://chimneysweeponline.com/pacsup27.htm

I've got a regency I2400 and my brother has the PE midsize. I would measure the height of the firebox, because I think the PE has a slightly taller one, which makes getting a load of wood in it a bit easier. I also think his PE has a slightly smoother primary air control.

Having said that, I have used my stove as a primary heater for the last two winters and it has been excellent.

I cant speak for the PE. But I can speak for the Regency. I have an F2400 at home, and I love it. I dont dont about the lifetime warranty from PE or if it covers everything. I do know that the Regency lifetime warranty covers everything except gaskets, firebrick and blower.

We have 2 fireplace dealers around here, one selling Regency and the other PE.. With the pe, the blower is included in the price and with the regency it is not. And the regency is overprice imho.

Go with the PE!!

Agreed that both are top-notch heaters,not sissied-up cast-iron parlour furniture.Having said that.....Regency has much heavier-duty door hinges and a cam-lock.....but I'm nit-picking.

I have the hampton which is the regency with a more decorative face. I was looking at a fancy quad or the hampton...I went with hampton. The dealer service from the factory is pretty useless. I think this is getting to be more and more true. Either way get it installed right and there is very little that can go after install.

Burntime? Was the problem with the service from FPI(Regency/Hampton), or the dealer?

The dealer took the money and ran, regency did not stand behind the product. I got the dealers name from the regency/hampton website. They had another dealer come out and install it as the 1st dealer left it on the pad in front of the opening. I was to get a block off plate...Darrell told me over and over that a blockoff plate is neither required or any benefit. I was also to get an insulated liner which never appeared. Almost a year later I can not keep my home warm...the dealer hacked the top plate so bad that it would not seal. Darrell the regency vender got the call, the first words out of his mouth was "why didn't you install a blockoff plate...it is required to get the efficiency." Regency products are great...service is lower than sucky. I paid for the caddy and got a chevy. I tell everyone I know and I know that it has cost them more than a few units. In other cases it was more of a slim deal because the purchasers had a take it or leave it attitude when they purchase. The co has reps at the home shows, I always take a few minutes when there is a big crowd to tell someone loudly how the company treated me. I need to uninstall my unit this fall and insulate and block off plate it along with a new top plate... For a shoddy install and serive I have knowingly cost them 4 unit sales plus whomever walks away at the home shows.

BTW stoveguy, I like your quote!!!

Now thats surprising to me. FPI is always the most helpfull out of the different companies that we carry. I mean here in CT we always deal with the Maryland plant and the new New Hampshire plant that I have actually been too. And they have always been very helpfull when you have a question. Theres been certain situations where I have been able to talk with one of there tech guys while working on one of there stoves. Well that sucks that you had a bad experience with them. Im assuming you have an outside chimney if your not getting any heat out of the unit. I would agree that your liner needs to be insulated. You should be able to find a site online that will sell you a kit if you dont want to deal with anymore local dealers.

Yea I had an older guy one day ask me to put a Vermont Castings in the front seat of his car. I told him it wasnt happenin.

I actually have a chimney in the middle of my ranch. I wanted the liner so that there was not heat transfer to that attic and cause ice damning...which of course has happened. I talked (emailed) a joe G at hampton and he is extremely helpfull. He was the one that told me a block off plate should be in there. The rep Darrell was the guy that talks out of both sides of his mouth. You obviously have intimate knowledge of regency...I have the 6 inch selkirk stainless liner, can you suggest or PM me a good liner company? Also what is a better approach...they make a full cap or just the metal plate on top of the chimney? Either way I need a new one, mine was hacked so badly that they were trying to seal it with more caulk then metal...really is a sad sad install. The worst part is I could have done it myself...but the dealer originally would not allow it???

I would keep the liner that you have in there. No need spending more money on a whole new kit. I would try to find the parts that need replacing. I would order a new cap and top plate, especially if yours is hacked up. Did they drill and tap the top plate on, or is it just siliconed on? If its just siliconed on there I would get a masonary bit and drill and tapcon a new one on and seal it with new silicone. Try going on Selkirks website, they probably gave pictures of everything so you can figure out what you need.

They tried to silicone it only and I sent them out to fix it...they ordered the kit thru regency/hampton to screw it in. I have ice damning on the roof from the insert. WOuldn't the liner help retain the heat in better? Thats why I wanted the liner in the first place. Any suggestions?

Yes, the liner should keep more heat in the house, especially if it is insulated. That way your not just heating the chimney. There is debate whether or not to seal at the damper when a liner is dropped. If you feel you need it, then just do it. Im not really familar with the kits they sell, just because we get them cheaper from another brand. I do know there 5.5" instead of 6".

Status
Not open for further replies.