PE Summit Classic cleaning after 1st year !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clambdin

Jan 29, 2006
Just got finished cleaning the chimmney and pipe after 1st year burning the summit Classic, the chimmney just had a very light black powdery residue and the stainless chimmney cap just had a little soot but no creosote on it, the pipe just above the stove had an 1/8 inch buildup of the same fine powdery residue as the chimmney, I think this is pretty clean for a non cat stove.

If you burned full-time, that is great. More of a praise to you than the stove though in my opinion. I have seen owners with a particular stove only need a cleaning every couple of years while another owner of the same model can't make it a year. So, YOU are doing a great job using a fine stove and making it do what it was designed to do.

Jack

Glad to hear that. Same result when I cleaned the liner on the 30-NC. Made me feel better for not spending the extra fifteen hundred for the Summit.

The devil made me say that.

Dood, base model Summit is $1645 here. If you got the 30NCL for $145 you must be happier than a hog in mud.

BeGreen said:
Dood, base model Summit is $1645 here. If you got the 30NCL for $145 you must be happier than a hog in mud.

Lets not bring up my extracurricular activities now ;)

BrotherBart said:
Glad to hear that. Same result when I cleaned the liner on the 30-NC. Made me feel better for not spending the extra fifteen hundred for the Summit.

Just wonderin', is the Englander really a $150 stove?. The Summit is only $1,650 !!

Mr_Super-Hunky said:
BrotherBart said:

Just wonderin', is the Englander really a $150 stove?. The Summit is only $1,650 !!

The 30-NC was $780 plus freight. The Summit may be available for $1,700 but the Summit Classic with EBT and bling is considerably more from examples I have seen.

But that Summit Classic is one heck of a wood stove.

All Summits have EBT. The Classic is $1745 @ the chimneysweep online. Point taken, whether it's almost $1000 better is a good question.

BeGreen said:
All Summits have EBT. The Classic is $1745 @ the chimneysweep online. Point taken, whether it's almost $1000 better is a good question.

Summit Classic starts at $2,095 plus $30 EPA tax at Tom's place. The plain ole PE Classic is the one that is $1,745 plus da EPA slice.

I figure they are worth it. I had budgeted $2,100 for one before some things became Overcome By Events here last year.

BrotherBart said:

Had you bough the summit tho, you would not have had to paint and install it twice!

Gunner said:
BrotherBart said:

Had you bough the summit tho, you would not have had to paint and install it twice!

No guarantee of that. Any manufacturer can ship a screwed up stove, or a freight company can demolish one. No knocks against Summits from here. I think they are great stoves.

How long one will last when a certain un-named burner keeps one kicking at 900+ remains to be seen. :bug:

Edit: My dad once said that anytime he wanted to buy something reliable be it a car or anything else he would take me with him and let me pick it out. And then he would buy the one sitting next to it.

[quote author="BrotherBart" date="1182454086.

How long one will last when a certain un-named burner keeps one kicking at 900+ remains to be seen. :bug:

.[/quote]

Possibly $1000 worth longer than the Englander no?

Mr_Super-Hunky said:
[quote author="BrotherBart" date="1182454086.

Possibly $1000 worth longer than the Englander no?[/quote]

I have no plans to find out! A five to six hundred degree stove is plenty for me. It is my family room, not a metallurgy lab. I have had one get to 1200. It ain't a pretty picture.

BrotherBart said:
Summit Classic starts at $2,095 plus $30 EPA tax at Tom’s place. The plain ole PE Classic is the one that is $1,745 plus da EPA slice.

Right, I stand corrected. Broke my rule about posting before coffee

Edit: My dad once said that anytime he wanted to buy something reliable be it a car or anything else he would take me with him and let me pick it out. And then he would buy the one sitting next to it.

Ooo, that must have hurt when you selected the Beemer at the BMW/Yugo dealership :)

Status
Not open for further replies.