PE Summit Classic vs T6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
In my ongoing stove search, I am considering an Alderlea T6 and while on PE's website, I noticed the Summit Classic with legs and enamel finish vs the Summit.

Is the T6 a Summit with a cast iron jacket - all else otherwise the same?

I kind of like the look of the Classic.

Are these stoves only top vent? How is the ash pan set-up? I assume both are convection stoves? Anyone use a blower with either?

Thanks!!!!!!
Bill

Both stoves are identical inside. The Alderlea's cast iron jacket adds much more mass. It heats up a bit slower and cools down a bit slower, gradually releasing the heat. That and the utility of the movable trivets are the sum of the differences. The ashpan system is worthless in my opinion. We never use it. Fortunately the stove has a pretty deep belly that can hold a lot of ash. We have the blower on our stove, and an ecofan on top. The blower is normally off in mild weather, but we use it when it's very cold outside and we need to push the stove higher. Besides helping push out the heat, it also helps keep the stove top temps from pegging our thermometer. :)

As you can see in my sig I am prejudice. That being the case I love the T6 and the trivets come in handy all the time. But either stove will keep you warm. Best of luck

I would factor into my decision between the two:
1. the room ie kitchen, small den, large living room etc,
2. furniture and other "clearances",

the cast iron jacket on the t6 makes it comfortable when chairs etc are in close, i would think the radiant heat from the summit (which i have not experienced) may be higher than the t6's.

the trivets are of great value to us when keeping food warm, warming plates and defrosting, they add a lot of warm surface area when spread eagled out. They really helped keep all the food warm with the large Thanksgiving and Xmas meals.

I think the enamel would be nice for shielding the metal from kettle water etc, and ease of cleaning.

same stove, different exterior. BG is correct in the better heat retention qualitys of the 130 lbs of cast iron the wrap the T6 in, but both provide the same max heat output, clearances, burn times, clean glass, and use the same blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.