PE Summit crack issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave, it could be he has decided to become a PE dealer and is working through the process. He may not have been able to inherit it from the other party. It would be good for him to be straight forward about this if that is the case. You can go to PE's website and use the dealer locator as a cross-reference.

Another thing that kind of sticks and I didn't really make all that clear, is that X seemed to want me to place the order with him when I was out there or even get back to him and order. And actually I spoke to the first guy on the phone after the visit to X, before I went back in, and I asked him if I should place the order with X (after he said the deal went through). He preferred that I didn't. (So in a way he might have been cutting his salesman out of a commission and I went along with it, but I didn't realize that's what I was doing -- I assumed he was just taking over X's business, and X was going to retire.

And if I had ordered from X, he knew how to handle it, and I'd probably be getting it by Friday. But the first guy doesn't seem to want to get X involved.

If this guy keeps stringing me along, I'm thinking maybe I should call X and get him involved.

But you're right, I think I need to get this guy to start leveling with me about what's going on and maybe suggest that we need to get X involved, since he seemed to know how to get it within a week.

I am deciding today on the Olympic or the Summit and putting a deposit on one of them. My question is, I have read many threads in the last few days in regard to the issue with cracks and PE being slow to rectify the issues. It seems they redesigned the stove to resolve this problem...IS this the case and have any reports of cracks showed up on newer stoves manufactured after that supposed bad batch date range? I just want a stove that I'm not going to regret buying. The Summit is better looking than the Olympic to me but I'm sure both will heat my home just fine. I will sacrifice function and longevity over looks any day when it comes to something like this I guess. How is the yearly maintenance on the Summit other than door gaskets and cleaning?
Don't know about the crack issue but if I couldn't run a stove at 700*on occasion I wouldn't want it. My friend in northeast ohio is a PE dealer maybe the largest,and I'll tell you one thing from being in his showroom they throw the heat,look good and have a lively fire,if I ever went non cat a summit would be my choice.

700::Fon the stovetop is well within the safe zone for the Summit. The problem is with getting that reading on an insert.

Dave, it could be he has decided to become a PE dealer and is working through the process. He may not have been able to inherit it from the other party.

Looks like you were right about that, Begreen.

He called today and it's coming Friday or Monday.

Although the takeover deal is finalized it doesn't go into effect until April 1.
In the meantime the paperwork for becoming a dealer (under their name) is in the works.

The reason I bring all this up is a concern about potential warranty coverage down the line. Would I be in a position where PE could deny a warranty claim because I bought from someone who wasn't technically a dealer at the time of the sale?

He obviously wants to make the sale and doesn't want me to cancel. So maybe he wanted to hold up the final sale and deliver until April 1 or dealership was finalized until he realized I wasn't happy about that.

I would stick with him (I think he's giving me a good price and I like him) but would rather wait (even though I really would like to get it installed ASAP) if I am going to jeopardize my position with respect to the warranty and possibly other issues.

Do you know anything about this sort of thing? Would I be in a bad situation with a warranty issue under these circumstances. At this point it's coming and he probably will want to finalize the sale asap, and might be upset if I want to put it off till there's no question about warranty coverage.

And future dating the sale or delivery, that gets into potential issues of fraud. Or is that sort of thing winked at in the industry -- modifying dates on documents to get around potential issues with technicalities?

I don't know a whole lot about this thing. You bring up legitimate concerns. The dealer would be the best to ask about them and to see what he can or can't do to address these concerns. If he has been around for awhile and prides his reputation then he should be able to offer a solution to your concerns.

I wouldn't sweat it. The distributor is the one that would handle warranty.

I don't know a whole lot about this thing. You bring up legitimate concerns. The dealer would be the best to ask about them and to see what he can or can't do to address these concerns. If he has been around for awhile and prides his reputation then he should be able to offer a solution to your concerns.

Oh I misunderstood. Somehow got the impression that you worked in the industry, knew how it operated with respect to dealers etc. That's the only reason I brought this up here.

Yeah, I certainly will be talking to him, and will explain my concern. I just would have felt a little more comfortable knowing certain things ahead of time. But thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.