PE Summit Fan or No Fan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danielsonrose

Dec 4, 2007
Michigan
For those of you with a summit. Anybody have input on how the optional blower helps to extract more heat from the stove to the room. Is it worth the money? I have had mixed opinions from the salesmen. Has anyone tried the stove with and without the blower going?

danielson said:
For those of you with a summit. Anybody have input on how the optional blower helps to extract more heat from the stove to the room. Is it worth the money? I have had mixed opinions from the salesmen. Has anyone tried the stove with and without the blower going?
always get the fan it can always help even if its on low
when i had a freestanding the fan made a huge difference

My Summit is an insert, so blower has a big effect thanks to the shroud surrounding the firebox. I can tell you from all the other freestanding stoves I've burned over the years though, that it really comes down to the location of your stove. Is it sort of stuck in a corner someplace, or in a nice open area where convection and radiant heat have a chance to work on their own? There was a huge thread on this quite a while back (got nasty, as I recall) that had all the engineering types pulling out their slide-rules (ooops, showing my age) and their thermo-dynamics text books.

If you do feel you need a blower though, the O.E. piece is a nice fit and works well, although pricey. I have two good friends with free-standing Summits, one with the blower, and one without, and both are happy.

I would never even consider an insert without a fan, unless I lived in Florida, but then I wouldn't really need the insert either.

hfjeff said:
I would never even consider an insert without a fan, unless I lived in Florida, but then I wouldn't really need the insert either.

Mine is the free standing model. I am trying to do anything to help my overall heat output from the stove and am willing to purchase the fan as long as it will make a significant difference. Looking at the stove and the heat shields on it, it makes sense that air being moved between the sheild and the stove body would help to transmit more heat into the room. I don't know if it would make much of a difference on a soapstone or cast stove without the heat shields present. Further comments from those with a summit are appreciated.

I have a freestanding Avalon Olympic and the fan make a HUGE difference in heat output..trust me, it is worth every penny

Status
Not open for further replies.