PE Summit - First Clean and Inspection of Liner - What to DO?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bryankloos

Oct 31, 2013
Weston, CT
Hey Guys,

I had my first stove (PE Summit) installed in early November for supplemental heat to ease our oil usage.

I've been burning 24/7 since mid November and I want to take advantage of the warm weather this weekend to shut down, clean up and do an inspection of the system... The thing is, I've never done this and need some guidance.

What is the process for cleaning the stove other than removing ash and physically cleaning the interior?
What is the process for inspecting the flue (SS liner)?

Does it make sense to purchase a liner sweep to clean the liner? The wood I've been burning has been about 15-18% and I tend to run the fire hot but it does see a lot of coaling time in the 300s range before reloads while I am away during the day at work.

All help and assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

What is the process for cleaning the stove other than removing ash and physically cleaning the interior?

Well...that is pretty much it. Do a quick look around internally to make sure nothing is out of sorts.

What is the process for inspecting the flue (SS liner)?

Get your eyeballs on it. From up top with a flashlight, or from the bottom with a mirror (if straight up). Lots of people simply run their brush through it and see what the results are. YMMV

Does it make sense to purchase a liner sweep to clean the liner?

Yep - only way a homeowner has to get-R-done. You may also want to review the Soot Eater. It gets good reviews.

Hay, Bryan, welcome to the forums !!

It sounds like your firewood is primo, and your doing a good job.

My personal peeve of cleaning a PE is the boost baffle in the front of the stove. If that's clean ( as well as the rear intake) and a clean chimney, you should be good to go !

In that short time, I would merely check the cap and top portion of the liner. Clean the firebox out if alot of ash is built up. Leave an inch or so of ash on the bottom. Good to go. Check things out a couple times a month for this season, then you will know your burning habits, if they are good, or not so good. And how good your wood is dried.
For a full sweep, you will have to pull the baffle, and make sure you cover the secondary channel in the back that the baffle sits over. Otherwise it will become clogged with soot & ash and no more secondaries. And yes, just figure a new baffle gasket with each time you pull the baffle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dix
Status
Not open for further replies.