PE summit haze on glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris2879

Nov 8, 2010
Western MA
I am trying to get a haze off the glass, what is the best way to do so? The haze can only be seen if the light is right and it appears to be mainly above the where the front air flow holes are. I do recall when burning there this same area always had 2 areas of whitish haze, but easily came off with a damp rag. Is there any way to get this removed, especially since the right o light is from my spot on the couch, and it's been driving me crazy all summer!

I would recommend the Rutland cleaner also.

I used the damp paper towel and fine ash method. Worked great. Like dissolves like.

+100 Damp cloth and ash.

I've always used a wet cloth and ashes also, which is effective, but lately I've heard of scratching from abrasive minerals in the ashes. I know that a lot wood has minerals in it and can even form clinkers in some cases.

I've seen the Rutland cleaner recommended before, so I think I'm going to try it. It also has silicone in it and is supposed to make subsequent cleaning easier. We'll see.

I agree with Sprinter on this one.
IMO ash in time, is going to put fine scratches on it, and then you won't see much at all through the glass, as it will always be hazy.
I have my old glass that is exactly that.
Rutland cleaner or even a non abrasive glass cooktop cleaner works very well.
Some folks actually are that cheap that they won't purchase a few dollar bottle of real cleaner.
The cost of replacing the glass is much more than many bottles of cleaner.
I also suggest not cleaning while the glass is hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.