PE Summit insert $$ing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainstation

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2009
N.Ont.
I am looking at the PE Summit insert to replace my worn out R14. Couple of questions :
a) assuming CDN $ and U.S greenback are at par, What can I expect to pay for the Summit insert?
b) I know all inserts need the blower fan, but are these Summit inserts really the "workhorse BtU wise that I read/hear about, seriously?

Thanks in advance.

a) they were, but dollar is falling. Currently $1 US = .95 Cd. However, it shouldn't be that important if buying in Canada. Pacific Energy is a Canadian company.
b) Yes, they are excellent heaters that convect pretty well even without the blower running.

Thanks all,
Any current Summit insert owners want to chime in about heat output.?

mainstation said:
Thanks all,

In summer it's going to be a little quiet here. Search on Hogwildz threads. He has a Summit insert. Also note that the Alderlea T6 is a Summit in a cast iron jacket.

BeGreen said:
mainstation said:
Thanks all,

In summer it's going to be a little quiet here. Search on Hogwildz threads. He has a Summit insert. Also note that the Alderlea T6 is a Summit in a cast iron jacket.

You left out the part about the T6 not looking like a microwave built in the 1960s.

mainstation said:
... but are these Summit inserts really the "workhorse BtU wise that I read/hear about, seriously?
Thanks in advance.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the BTU calculations are not based on BTU's released into the room. ie a freestanding Summit will produce/release more heat into a home than a Summit insert recessed into a fireplace.

I have had a PE Summit Insert for four years. Sometimes I wish I had bought a huge 4 cubic foot plus catalytic Buck Insert. That's just because I live in a large, rather leaky, ranch house, and I burn wood that most people here wouldn't take if you gave it to them delivered, and stacked for free.

That said. The Summit is an easy to use work horse and yes it will put off crazy amounts of heat. I have put good wood in it a few times and wow!!! I burn slab wood that is mostly poplar and other softwoods. I get 8 hours with enough coals for an easy restart and I don't use my house furnace at all. I'm have a metal block off plate. This year, I'm going to add rock wool to the block off plate and around the inside of the fireplace. I know I'm loosing a lot of heat up the chimney. Take that into account when you buy. Chimney Sweep Online rates the Summit stove and Summit insert at 48,392 btu over an eight hour burn. The stove is going to put all of that heat into the room. The insert won't, so install it properly.

I don't have experience with any other stoves, so I can't compare it to them, but I sure can't see how any of them would be much better. Get what you want and be happy, just don't take the Summit off your list because you think it won't do the job. It will.

Franks said:
Not an owner, but as a retailer that does not sell PE I find myself having PE envy quite often.

LOL, tell me you didn't chuckle to yourself a little bit when you typed that in...
cheeky.

mainstation said:
I am looking at the PE Summit insert to replace my worn out R14. Couple of questions :
a) assuming CDN $ and U.S greenback are at par, What can I expect to pay for the Summit insert?
b) I know all inserts need the blower fan, but are these Summit inserts really the "workhorse BtU wise that I read/hear about, seriously?

Thanks in advance.

Go to the main page for hearth.com and read the stove reviews.. PE stoves rate very well from the majority that own them and it helped sway me to buy the T-5...

Ray

raybonz said:
mainstation said:

Thanks in advance.

Go to the main page for hearth.com and read the stove reviews.. PE stoves rate very well from the majority that own them and it helped sway me to buy the T-5...

Ray

Ratings are here:
https://www.hearth.com/ratings/search.php

Heats 2666 sf fairly open floor plan since installed in 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.