PE Summit Insert-- last year's problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveydog

Jul 25, 2010
Central MA
Any follow up from anyone on the welding/build concerns? Scrounging but didn't see any further comments on that. What's the general consensus? My thoughts are that any stove could have issues, so dealer and manufacturer rep is what counts... and that the problems discussed on this forum a year ago don't constitute a major red flag, etc... but.... everyone else agree? I'm finally buying... at any minute! (and yup, I have wood!)

we are burning our 3rd year on our Summit and so far, no issues. We love it.

BrotherBart said:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/58621/

Thank you... search engine didn't find this for me for some reason... well, that is disconcerting. Crap. I was literally just about to push the button on this. Now, I'm not so sure.

+1
I was dead set on buying the PE Super (when we get the problems with our short flue resolved). Now, I am not so sure anymore. Would also take the Regency I2400 but have not a good feeling with that dealer. Decisions, decisions...

mine i think is a 2000 model.no problems.very easy to operate.clean glass.heats the house no prob.would buy it again

As a PE owner I was a bit concerned about this too, so I looked into it. Speaking with some of the folks in the biz it appears that there was a small run of the stove that had this problem. It's unfortunate, but it happens, to every stove maker. I'm told the production issue has been investigated, fixed and dealt with.

Remember, we mostly get folks with problems posting here. For any stove there are thousands of users that we hear nothing about.

Third year with the Pacific insert, all systems are go.

BeGreen said:
As a PE owner I was a bit concerned about this too, so I looked into it. Speaking with some of the folks in the biz it appears that there was a small run of the stove that had this problem. It's unfortunate, but it happens, to every stove maker. I'm told the production issue has been investigated, fixed and dealt with.

Remember, we mostly get folks with problems posting here. For any stove there are thousands of users that we hear nothing about.

I talked to my local dealer, he said the same thing, that it was dealt with... so I am in. I appreciate all the feedback.. looks like we'll be up and running in a few weeks... now to try not to use too much oil between now and then!!

Get'er in there and burning. PE makes a heck of a wood stove.

BeGreen said:

I bought my insert in May 2007.
Am I in the risky run?

I have looked and looked at all the photos posted in both the original thread and the follow up and honestly I am not sure what I am looking for.
I have zero familiarity with welds and in most of the photos I couldn't even be sure I was seeing what was being talked about.

I am burning right now but think I will be able to let it go out one day next week and give the thing a good going over, and will of course review the threads and photos before doing so.

But would I have symptoms if I had cracks?
I do have it cleaned and inspected by my dealer every spring, but I have watched and never saw them get down and really scrutinize every corner.
It's scary, and doubly so since I don't really know what I am looking for.

The most obvious has been cracking at the corners of the opening in the firebox where the door closes. If you don't find cracking there it should be fine. Just don't go burning that sucker in 800 degree territory and you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.