PE Summit Install Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris2879

Nov 8, 2010
Western MA
I think I have made up my mind to purchase the PE Summit. I a few questions.
1. Can you and does anyone ever install a damper on the 6" exhaust outlet to close off when the stove is not running?

2. I was thinking about using an OAK. I was going to open up my ash dump in the hearth which runs into my basement. From there, was i was going to make a plate to go over the cleanout with a 4" round dryer hose connected to it that is piped to the outside. I have read on here that people experience drafts when the OAK is used on this stove.

3. Since i am not planning on burning 24/7, when the damper control on the front of the stove is closed, how much air still leaks into the firebox and out the chimney. I am really concerned and looking for the best way to assure that there is no draft going up the chimney or in from the OAK when the stove is not in use.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

My thought is only install what you need to start. The oak is not always necessary and might be a problem. My guess is the stove will run great without it. The exception is a modern ultra tight home.

As far as the damper it will not stop anymore air than your stove supplies fully closed. The reason is the damper has a hole in the middle and also lets small amounts of air around it. A damper works great for controlling a fire but if it did not have a little air seepage when shut down completely the house would be engulfed in smoke. Its got to go somewhere. A damper does inhibit a small amount of air when fully open so be sure to have a strong draft before installing one. Dampers usually make cleaning more difficult. With all that a damper can solve an overly strong draft and will help control a runaway fire..

Maybe PM "Ribs1", or read this thread -- https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/49363/

I would 2nd the advice to only use the OAK if necessary, and IMHO, only consider adding the damper after using the stove,

With the stove air intake closed, passive heat loss , again IMHO, is minimal.

Also, after you get a stove and use it, you will reconsider your intentions of not burning 24/7

Our stove, a Summit in cast iron, had the OAK connected all last year; 4" dryer vent for about 30' up and into the stove. Worked fine. However, as I knocked out the wall it went through, the OAK is now disconnected and I notice no difference at all. Again, depends how tight your home is. It would probably need to be REALLY sealed to need the OAK, in my experience it was not worth the extra effort for plumbing and I won't reconnect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.