PE Summit interior question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCredneck

Aug 29, 2011
RDU area NC
My baffle is sitting on the side rails, insulation can be seen extending from the side rails toward the stove top. Is there supposed to be any kind of steel plate on the front side of the baffle to conceal this once the baffle is in? Could be because I don't have my brick in yet, just wondering if I am missing something.

This is a pic of Hogwildz Summit insert, the insulation can be seen at the front of the baffle, Top left of the pic, same as my free standing. This is normal.

index.php

Ah my photos are resurfacing LOL.
This is correct. All that is between the baffle sides and the stove wall is the insulation. Mine is starting to show wear and will prolly replace in the next year or so. Maybe not, who knows LOL.
The baffle is going to sag and get red like that etc etc, no worry, this is normal for all of them. Baffle is covered under warranty, unless they are not honoring that part of the warranty anymore.
I was ok'd for a new one, but figured it would just do the same as it is now, so I'll wait on that also. PE....suggestion.... put some stiffner rails inside that baffle! I know your watching Cory!

Hogwildz said:
This is correct. All that is between the baffle sides and the stove wall is the insulation. Mine is starting to show wear and will prolly replace in the next year or so. Maybe not, who knows LOL.
The baffle is going to sag and get red like that etc etc, no worry, this is normal for all of them. Baffle is covered under warranty, unless they are not honoring that part of the warranty anymore.
I was ok'd for a new one, but figured it would just do the same as it is now, so I'll wait on that also. PE....suggestion.... put some stiffner rails inside that baffle! I know your watching Cory!
Great original post. I will be making one of your Hogwildz designed baffle gasket this season for sure.

Yeah, I read that post too Skin052 and probably will make the rope gasket once mine is gone. I thought I had looked at all the pics Hogwildz had on his stove for this question I had..musta missed the one pic that showed it. I got the same stihl as you...I love mine...now that I got a stove helps justify it that much more cuz I only used it occassionally before, now I can work it.

SKIN052 said:
Hogwildz said:
Great original post. I will be making one of your Hogwildz designed baffle gasket this season for sure.

I pulled the baffle for cleaning again this year, and the gasket had given way on one corner. It may be because the baffle pivots side to side when I readjust the baffle due to wood hitting the bottom when packing her full, and it shifting to one side of the baffle or the other. All I had this year handy was 5/8" rope gasket laying around. So I made a new one with it, and had to persuade the baffle push the baffle gasket down enough to seat the pin, but I got it. Still, I think 3 or 4 years out of the Hog style gasket, at what I had laying around, was damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.