PE Summit Overkill?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun

Dec 30, 2005
Wolcott, CT
I am thinking of possibly going with a PE Summit classic to heat my 2000 sq. ft. house. I know the Summit is rated for up to 3000. Would it be overkill to go with this stove?

I don't have a Summit but have been looking at them and my house is only about 200 sq ft larger than yours. In my opinion I don't think it would be overkill at all as I would much rather build a small fire every once in awhile and have the btu capacity when you really need it at other times.

Also other things to consider is how insulated/drafty your house is and the floor plan of the home.
I.E. will you be able to get the btu's to other parts of the house

Oh hi,

In reading through the forums lately, it seems if you want to burn all night with-out getting up then you need a big firebox. My house is a leaky single story ranch around 2500sq ft. The PE summit works well, during the day I don't load it fully. At night (10:00pm) I load it up and turn the air down. We have a standing rule in the house...if someone gets up in the middle of the night to go the washroom, then they must open up the air. In either case we are still getting some heat in the morning. For reference, cold here is 32F at night and we go to 50s during the day....so some days I just run of the previous nights coals.

-Glen in the Santa Cruz Mts, CA

I think it would work for you. If your house is VERY well insulated and an open plan, and if it stove is going to be located on the main floor, then it might be a bit big. You can always build smaller fires in the shoulder seasons if needed.

I have the Super 27 in a roughly 2000 sq ft house, and it heats it very well (low 70's most of the year). That being said, the house is very well insulated and gets lots of passive solar heat. There are about 2 weeks during the dead of winter in the midst of a deep freeze that I wish for a bigger stove however. I wouldn't see the Summit being "overkill" at all for your home, being as you can simply light smaller fires. It really comes down to the individual house as to how well a stove will work and how much heat output you need. Pacific Energy makes a great stove.

We have the same size stove in the same size house in a milder climate. It works well for our old house. Unless the stove is going to be in a small area that does not connect well with the rest of the heated area of the house, it should work our for you. The upper rating for the stove would be better for the Pacific NW where the stove is made. The Summit might have trouble heating a 3000sq ft home in CT unless it was well insulated, open floorplan, normal height ceilings, good windows, etc..

Shaun said:
I am thinking of possibly going with a PE Summit classic to heat my 2000 sq. ft. house. I know the Summit is rated for up to 3000. Would it be overkill to go with this stove?

After the winter we are having? Get the summit ... wind like we get in the northeast is tough on a stove...
And if you should ever lose power feel good knowing you can heat your house... a smaller one will keep you in the 60s maybe even 70 ... a summit should have no problem keeping you in the 70s....
When shoulder season comes around I just put less wood in .. stove still gets hot just not as long...
Having really good wood this winter I have burned about 3 cords this winter heating 2000+ sq.

I have 1300 Sq/f up and 1300 Sq/f down (Split entry), Summit sit smack dab in the middle of the house in the basement. The majority of the heat comes up through through the stairwell but I helped a little with 2 small vents. Heats the home very well and is not overkill for me. You will be fine with the Summit. I also considered going a little smaller but in the case of wood stoves, bigger is better. Those Blaze Kings are great stoves as well I hear, UGLY but good, lol.

if it's warmer out, don't put as much fuel in it... but its nice to have the bigger firebox when you need to do more than just a few splits!

If your chimney isn't lined, I would install a SS Liner from the Summit to the top of the chimney. You might want to get a stove therm. to see how hot your Summit gets. Once you get a hang of it, you will load just by going by the therm.

Status
Not open for further replies.