PE Summit, QF 4300 st, or maybe enviro?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7river

Oct 15, 2008
Three Lakes WI
I'm hoping to get some fast feedback on stoves.
I have been shopping around and settled on a summit due to feedback from this forum but just looked up the quadrafire and am very impressed with the higher efficiency, longer and cleaner burn of the 4300.
Out of the three local dealers, one has a 4300st and they expect it to go fast with no new stock for a while.
I checked the forum for feedback on the 4300 and found all the posts on cracked air tubes. Should I stay away from this stove? Its a 2008 acc model according to dealer.
Thanks for the input

I'm also concerned about the recent manifold cracks showing up in the Quads. PE's design is simpler and without manifold or burn tubes. The insulating blanket is enclosed in a stainless box. This simplicity, plus the elegance of the EBT put it in front as my first choice. However, in fairness, now as a PE owner I'm becoming biased, so take that under consideration.

go with the summit .... its what we love here.......
you'll be happy

iceman said:
go with the summit .... its what we love here.......
you'll be happy

I will second this. Just measure first so you know it`s gonna fit. I couldn`t have the summit because of being 1" shy on the width of my fireplace opening.

BeGreen said:
I'm also concerned about the recent manifold cracks showing up in the Quads. PE's design is simpler and without manifold or burn tubes. The insulating blanket is enclosed in a stainless box. This simplicity, plus the elegance of the EBT put it in front as my first choice. However, in fairness, now as a PE owner I'm becoming biased, so take that under consideration.

Not to be a stick in the mud, but the insulation blanket is on top of the secondary baffle, then has a s.s. pan over top of that.
And yes, I am also partial to the Summit.

I'm happy with my Summit Insert, and I bought it on it's merits and then came here and found out I made a good choice.

One thing, from what I hear PE changed there baffle to stainless a few years ago, or atleast changed the design. Others can comfirm exactly what they did.

As for the new baffle design. It warps. I started burning mine in Oct/Nov and pulled it out in January to clean the chimney and it was warped. I just cleaned the chimney for this year, and it hasn't warped anymore. I know of one other person in here that has noticed that too. It's not a big warp and it doesn't seem to grow, but it does warp a little bit right off the bat. So don't worry if you get a Summit and it does that. When you take that thing out, you'll find out just how substantial it is. I'm guessing it weighs 20 pounds, maybe a little more.

As for heat. The Summit is awesome.

[quote author="karl" date="1224145958"]
As for the new baffle design. It warps. I started burning mine in Oct/Nov and pulled it out in January to clean the chimney and it was warped. I just cleaned the chimney for this year, and it hasn't warped anymore. I know of one other person in here that has noticed that too. It's not a big warp and it doesn't seem to grow, but it does warp a little bit right off the bat. So don't worry if you get a Summit and it does that. /quote]

WHEW! Thanks for mentioning that, I have had a pucker factor of a solid 10, after I saw that mine was warped. It isnt bad, but right in the center of the baffle, it 'sags' down a bit. I have watched it while it was doing its job and it functions the same as it always has, but man was I worried.
We are very happy with the Summit Insert, and frankly I am glad we decided on it over the Quad, it is a heating beast.

I Love my Summit, but I am really jealous of the T-6 owners :)

I also love my Avalon Olympic, you might want to give that website a look. Avalons are a little more expensive, even higher than T-6, if you want a brass/gold door which I have. Both of these stoves pump put all the heat you could ever want. The question is do you want to east/west burns of the Avalon or the north/south burns of the PE Summit and T-6. Either way in my book you can't lose :cheese:

Thanks for all the advise and info!
I'm wondering if the emission rating is worth factoring in? If the 4300 puts out 1 g/hr like the specs say, then over a winter I would spew 10,000 grams less emmisions than a summit, no? I don't know if those numbers are realistic or not.
Any thoughts or opinion on that?
Looks like I may be able to get a 4 year old 4300 for $1500 or maybe less. Only fired one season. I better decide soon or there will be no summits or quads available till January!

get the summit baby!!!!
remember all of those ratings don't mean anything as they are in a fac burning whatever will give them the best rating ... there is no standard that says every stove must burn xxxxx wood to be qualified

[quote author="7river" date="1224104493"]I'm hoping to get some fast feedback on stoves.
I have been shopping around and settled on a summit due to feedback from this forum but just looked up the quadrafire and am very impressed with the higher efficiency, longer and cleaner burn of the 4300.

Our smaller sized Quadrafire, after some 10 years, became difficult to use because the baffle had sagged down so much that the wood space was becoming restricted.
That may not have any bearing on current Quadrafire stoves; but as a general rule I'm attracted to simpler designs where long term use is expected.
We are very happy with the Alderlea, it's a daily pleasure to use.
Regarding efficiency or emission ratings, I think the moisture content of the wood you use, and your lighting/burning practices, have more impact than those numbers. If the numbers are in the same general range, other factors become more important.

iceman said:
get the summit baby!!!!
remember all of those ratings don't mean anything as they are in a fac burning whatever will give them the best rating ... there is no standard that says every stove must burn xxxxx wood to be qualified

There is, in fact, a standard. EPA method 28 which specifies what wood (Douglas fir), the required moisture content and the amount.

And as to "it's what we love here". Speak for yourself Summit lover. :coolsmirk:

We have the QF4300st and nothing cracked so far...good stove but I wished we got the next size larger. My wife is happy though she got a deal on this floor room model...pretty sure it was a grand.

You had to stick Enviro in there didn`t you? Stoves, that is the best "bang for your buck".. Built solid, with 5/16" steel on top, nice long burn time. And if you want to spend some extra bucks to pretty it up, do it. I love my Enviro insert, really churns out the heat. For the dollar spent, you can`t beat this product.

BrotherBart said:
iceman said:
get the summit baby!!!!

There is, in fact, a standard. EPA method 28 which specifies what wood (Douglas fir), the required moisture content and the amount.

And as to "it's what we love here". Speak for yourself Summit lover. :coolsmirk:

I understand your still upset they don't make in Honey Glow Brown brown. ;)

crazy_dan said:

Actually they did come out with a dark brown porcelain finish for the Summit last year. Nice looking.

7river said:
I'm hoping to get some fast feedback on stoves.
Out of the three local dealers, one has a 4300st and they expect it to go fast with no new stock for a while.
I checked the forum for feedback on the 4300 and found all the posts on cracked air tubes. Should I stay away from this stove? Its a 2008 acc model according to dealer.
Thanks for the input

PE stoves are the cat's meow. I don't know anyone with a QuadraFire but PEs are fairly popular around here (western WA) and I've heard nothing but good about them.

BrotherBart said:
crazy_dan said:

Actually they did come out with a dark brown porcelain finish for the Summit last year. Nice looking.

They did that just for you because they heard you wouldn't buy till they did... so when is your new summit arriving? ;)

crazy_dan said:
They did that just for you because they heard you wouldn't buy till they did... so when is your new summit arriving? ;)

They were available and in my price range when I was looking. Why downgrade now? :coolgrin:

well I wouldn't call it a "downgrade".

sorry for the highjack.

Status
Not open for further replies.