PE Summit to be installed in two days ... should I use outdoor air?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brownsl

Nov 11, 2008
Ohio
My PE Summit insert is to be installed on Wednesday. I expected it to be weeks before it came in but it arrived at the store in 3 business days. I just talked with the installer and when I mentioned I wanted to use outdoor air for combustion he tried to talk me out of it. Mentioned it is better to use already heated air. I have read these forums and the other sites that deal with the use of outdoor air and I was set on using it versus indoor air. Is this something I should insist on or should I yield to the installer's wisdom? My fireplace is a heatilator and there is already an outdoor intake at the bottom of the chimney outside the house.

Thanks for any advice.

Shawn

Your installer is either lazy, or ignorant to the benefits of outside air. I would absolutely hook it up.

If it's already there, use it, unless your house tends to be way too humid. Using a stove without a make-up air supply tends to lower the humidity in a house.

Thanks for the advice! The reason I went with this installer (even though he was more expensive) is he was the only one of the three I talked with that stated he would use an insulated liner for my install which is on an exterior-facing wall in a colder climate (OH). The other two said I did not need to insulate.

Anything else I should make sure gets done when he does the install? Thanks again,

Shawn

Nothing comes to mind right away. Might wanna go to PE's website and download the owner's manual to get some pointers.

Status
Not open for further replies.