PE Summit vs. Jotul Carrabasset - please help me decide

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Pirate

Jun 25, 2008
Orange County, NY
Please help me decide. I believe i have narrowed my choices down to these 2 stoves.
Any comments between the two in regards to:
Quality
Customer Service
Reliability
Durability
Efficiency
Both seem to be sized properly for my install. My wife likes the jotul soley based on looks. I am leaning toward the summit but do like the handle operation on the jotul.
Thanks.

They are both good stoves, but the wife needs to see the PE Alderlea T6, PE's cast iron jacketed stove to make a fair comparison. The Summit has a porcelain enameled steel jacket.

I like the T6's baffle system and swiveling trivet top, but the Jotul has a better door latch IMO.

They are both good stoves, but the wife needs to see the PE Alderlea T6, PE's cast iron jacketed stove to make a fair comparison. The Summit has a porcelain enameled steel jacket.

I like the T6's baffle system and swiveling trivet top, but the Jotul has a better door latch IMO.
I did think that trivet top was pretty cool.

It's great for raising bread, slow cooking, and for drying out wet socks and gloves.

Which dealer do you like more and when can he install it? Other than that take the one your wife likes more. You will be happy with either one.

Reactions: Osagebndr
I narrowed it down to those two (and the T6) before I made a decision. I'm not sure you can go wrong with either.

I went with the Jotul because:

- Every stove shop I went to that was burning the Summit said they don't use the ash pan - they just shovel out.
- A number of people here said the same thing, so I figured why not go with the simpler design.
- I liked the door latch mechanism.
- It's made in Maine (this may not hold sway for you).

I narrowed it down to those two (and the T6) before I made a decision. I'm not sure you can go wrong with either.

I went with the Jotul because:

- Every stove shop I went to that was burning the Summit said they don't use the ash pan - they just shovel out.
- A number of people here said the same thing, so I figured why not go with the simpler design.
- I liked the door latch mechanism.
- It's made in Maine (this may not hold sway for you).
How big of an area do you heat with it? I do like the door latch. Not sure how the ash pan works but i'll have to take a look. Do you think they both get about the same burn time and efficiencies?
I also like to keep a pot of water on top of the stove for humidity and not sure how the steel stoves hold up to having something rest on top (rust?). I grew up with a hearthstone and you could cook a stir fry on top and it wouldnt bother it.

I'm actually installing it now. I have a 1400 sq ft ranch that I'll heat from the basement. Also be able to heat attached garages if desired. The entire foundation has 4" of foam on it. 2x8 walls upstairs and a ton of insulation in the attic.

I don't have any experience with the burn times and efficiencies. Based on what I've read they are both good and comparable.

If you like the Summit better, I wouldn't let the ash pan stop you. You can always ignore it and shovel instead.

I dunno about the rust. Steel rusts. Cast iron rusts. It's all about the environment and how you take care of it.

If you like to cook maybe you should look at the T6?

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those three, it all depends on your personal nit-picky likes and dislikes of the differences.

Our stove is going on it's seventh season. There is not a hint of rust on it. The nice thing with a jacketed cast iron stove it that the paint on the cast iron doesn't see the high temps that it would on an unjacketed stove. That keeps it fresh looking year after year.
One thing I haven't checked on is whether the T6 now has the new EBT that is also on the Summit. This looks like some nice technology. One of PE's strengths has been longer burn times on stoves by regulating the secondary air.

So 2800 sq ft, not 1400 sq ft?

I wouldn't worry about the ash pan. My stove has one and I use it; but, my fiancee uses the stove lots more than I do, as I am gone 10 days at the time in the 18 wheeler. Shirley never uses the ash pan she just cleans out the stove with a spatula and a big metal spoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.