pe summit window air question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1

Hey summit owners, when the draft is fully closed, does it also slow down the air wash on the glass? On mine, if I do that, my glass get black. I assume from reduced air wash. If i open about a quarter way, no problem, but reduced time of holding a fire. Love this stove!! Learning curve! Thanks Tim

Your window is getting black because of the presence of unburnt volatiles. Air wash, temp and quality of fuel can all play part in this. In some installations it is still possible to turn the stove too low to be clean. Many (most) find a minimum range of 5-15% open on the primary air is a good place to be.

What are the stove top temps at when you are getting the black glass?

stove is running about 450 when I load her up for the night at about 1/2 draft opening. Fill her up with 3 year seasoned bone dry wood,fir, and set the draft at full closed,low. When I get up 9 hours later(if I do not get up to p ), I have coals and a black glass and low temp,really do not know when it blackens. Tim

Not all stoves/setups will allow for a fully closed primary AND maintain a clean glass. Open it up 5% and see what happens. You can be assured that in most cases (there are a couple of exceptions, but the PE ain't one of them) that if your glass is getting black - others parts are too (think pipe/stack).

I can close mine all the way down and not get black glass.

Not all stoves/setups will allow for a fully closed primary AND maintain a clean glass. Open it up 5% and see what happens. You can be assured that in most cases (there are a couple of exceptions, but the PE ain't one of them) that if your glass is getting black - others parts are too (think pipe/stack).
Well you cant close the air all the way any way unless you modified your stove, are you taking that into account?

I can close mine all the way down and not get black glass.

Yep, I have no doubt that some installs can, but I can assure you that not ALL can. Different setups can change draft, etc. A 15ft stack is gonna draft different than a 24ft stack. If his fuel is good stuff, the only other thing he can do (in operation) is to open the primary a bit more.

Well you cant close the air all the way any way unless you modified your stove, are you taking that into account?

No need to even take that into account. If he is getting black glass with good wood, he needs more air. Pretty straight forward.

No need to even take that into account. If he is getting black glass with good wood, he needs more air. Pretty straight forward.
I was just wondering, really dont think his glass should be getting black, I think he is turning the stove down too quick.

Agreed, If I increase the air a bit, no black glass. I did tinker with the primary air control a bit,I was not aware it effected the air wash. Learning curve in affect. Not that big a deal, really. Plenty of pipe height and good draft. Tim

If I ran my summit like that it would smolder and blacken the glass also.

We don't get blackened glass either, even when burning fir and the air closed all the way down. How much chimney is on the stove and how is it connected?

Also, how close to the glass are you loading the wood?

Agreed, If I increase the air a bit, no black glass. I did tinker with the primary air control a bit,I was not aware it effected the air wash. Learning curve in affect. Not that big a deal, really. Plenty of pipe height and good draft. Tim

Define tinker.

I was just wondering, really dont think his glass should be getting black, I think he is turning the stove down too quick.

Very likely, you are correct. I can't/don't burn with the air control closed fully. I will end up with a brown window in the a.m. if I do that.

Have you watched the fire for a while after you turn it down, this is with fir?

The fire definetly gets lazy when i turn her down, but lots of heat. Here is a photo of the tinkering, just a bit of grinding, is all. All fir! Dry fir. Tim

Attachments

• DSC00071.JPG
    DSC00071.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 98
That looks like too much is ground away if it allows the air control valve to close all the way. If it closes all the way, there is no air for the airwash.

Is your boost manifold (hole to the right where the EBT is missing) left wide open all the time or did the EBT get reinstalled?

I rebuilt the ebt as the rivet fell out, and re-installed it. Since I don't use a stove pipe damper, I wanted a way to shut down most of the air intake in case of a runaway. I can completely close off the secondaries and most of the primary air. The temp guage is on the first section of pipe.

How are you closing the secondaries, it sure sounds to me like you are starving the stove for air and causing the black glass, a flue temp gauge will give you a good idea what is going on.
If you keep burning that way you might have a chimney that looks like an inverted rocket.

Reactions: Jags
I load my summit with three large splits,on a hot bed
of coals 450/500 half open, wait about 15 min.
Close all the way and go to bed and let the EBT do it's thing.
Black glass only if wood too close/touching glass.
8 hrs. later hot bed of coals, temp. 250/300.

I would try NOT shutting the air control completely off and see if that affects the glass buildup.

I would start to consider that your tinkering and rebuilding the EBT is the issue - if your wood is seasoned as claimed.

Is the EBT flap valve now in place - as it is missing in your picture

Says the EBT is installed again. This sounds like air starvation. This is not designed to be an airtight stove.

Try taking the air control to the stop and then backing it open a little and see how that works. Leave the secondary wide open unless the wood is already 100% charcoal.

You know, thinking back, I was using long wood almost to the glass, did not even factor that in. The air cannot be completely shut off.Some photos of stove and pipe, now has 1 more section on it. The ebt shut off is always open, unless pushed in in an emergency. If you look at the ebt, the pin holding the bimetal coil spring was gone when I bought the stove, all together now.Been damn cold and been running about 1/4 open on primary air and no issues. Gotta get new doors. Tim

DSC00063.JPGDSC00073.JPGDSC00076.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00083.JPG
    DSC00083.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC00084.JPG
    DSC00084.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC00186.JPG
    DSC00186.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 120
Oh, now there is no smoke, that was with the fisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.