PE summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rg500930

Oct 11, 2007
northern ontario
well another season of burnin in the old summit insert.god i love this stove.heres my set up.the insert is in my rec room in the basement.outside chimney around 23 feet long.brick house was built in round 1960.its around 1200 square feet and the same in the basement.so total around 2400 square feet.and i live in northern ontario.so if you think i can turn it down and let it smolder think again.i need the heat.i usually run it around 500degrees when im asleep or away.and a little more when i'm there.i can easily get 9 hours.thats how long i'm usually asleep or away to work.people sometimes forget about burn times and forget who is posting it.as they have a newer house or live in a southern state.last year i maybe restarted a fire 5-10 times.anways this is some mods i did to it.nothing major.
-i installed a dampener in the chimney-didn't notice anything
-installed O.A.K-again hard to tell if theres a difference
-i installed a electronic valve for the EBT.haven't played with that to much.
-but i did try blocking the EBT.one thing i like about this is it let you use more air on the primary air(the lever).in turn you get more air wash.(amazes me how clean the window stays).and maybe gives a longer burn time.
-i blocked off some of the opening to the inside air baffle.i can't see why that shouldnt be adjusted since not all installs are the same.eg different chimney lengths etc.i adjust it so the flames arent shooting out of the holes to hard.
oh and one other thing.the best mods you can do to get a even heat around the house,longer burn times is to insulate and seal the house.

If I had the hardware, I'd consider modifying the manifold boost air holes, I would add some holes out to either side of the boost plate, and maybe block a couple in the middle to see if it would help the burning in the rear corners. I haven't dicked with the EBT, yet, but may break out the heavy duty foil this weekend and try capping it as well as some of the boost manifold holes.... pyromania

i also tried squeezing a couple tubes into the holes so i would get more air to the back of the fire box.the tubes were aluminum though and they melted lol maybe have to try it again sometime

Status
Not open for further replies.